Southeast Asia forum

Route advice needed

• Decoy

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2012

A friend and I will be travelling around South East Asia at the turn of the year. We have a set route but need some advice about the southern islands/countries.

From Malaysia/Singapore we want to visit Borneo, most/all of the Indonesian islands and the Philippines, before ending up in Australia/New Zealand. What is the best route to take in regards to ease/money?

We want to avoid air travel as much as possible. Thanks in advance for your help.

#1 Posted: 28/2/2013 - 16:44

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I've never visited Borneo or the Philippines - but everyone I know that has took a number of puddle jumper airplanes. I'd probably recommend flying up to Manila, visiting the Philippines - ending by traversing Palawan, then go to Sabah and Sarawak -flying to Sumatra and working overland through Java, Bali, Lombok . . . and on. It'll be a lot of long boat rides if you avoid flying - the best you'll do for regional ferries and the like will be when you get to Indonesia and jump from island to island there.

#2 Posted: 28/2/2013 - 19:15

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

IMHO the logical route is to cross the straits of Malacca by ferry from either Malaysia or Singapore into Sumatra, Indonesia.
    Make your way among the Indonesian islands.

If you make Borneo your final island than you have several options to get to the Philippines.

Fly from Brunei to Manila;
    Fly from Kota Kinabalu to Manila or Clark
    Take the ferry from Sandakan , Malaysia to Zamboanga, Philippines. Beginning April this year, Airphil Express will offer flights between Sandakan and Zamboanga. However, other airlines gave up this route due to lack of traffic. So it remains to be seen how long this flight will be available.

Otherwise the only other connection is Jakarta-Manila by plane.

Than from Manila fly to either NZ or AUS.

#3 Posted: 1/3/2013 - 03:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Please help! Travel route advice needed ... By travelinchen on 28 Jul 2011 0 1965 28 Jul 2011
5 month trip - rough route advice needed ! ... By nickolt on 28 Oct 2010 7 3092 6 Nov 2010