Southeast Asia forum

Suggested Budget and Itinerary for Thailand Laos Vietnam and Cambodia

• emmah

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2013

Hi there, myself and three friends are wanting to travel these 4 countries starting in November. We would be going from Bangkok and finishing again in Bangkok. We would like to spend about 8 weeks doing this, giving us 2 in each country.

I've been looking through posts on here which are great but still struggling to place a rough itinerary together - I like to just wing it but my friends prefer to be a bit more organised! Are there any places we should definitely see and is two weeks a good time to see it all?

Also we have no idea of how much money we will need and would like to do it quite cheap as we will be off to Australia after these 8 weeks! Would £1500-£2000 do it comfortably?

Any help would be appreciated! I know it's very vague at the minute but don't want to book anything until I know I can definitely afford it!

#1 Posted: 7/3/2013 - 10:48

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

That's about 3,000 USD - which could be a little tight for 8 weeks, depending on how many tours and guides you want to hire, if you plan on doing any internal flights as well. I was sharing accommodation with a friend in Cambodia for 3 weeks and spent around 800 USD, didn't do any guided tours - just hired motorbikes most days - but stayed in mid-range, around 15-20 USD a night, air-con/hotwater. I think of Cambodia as a lot cheaper than Vietnam and Thailand though. In Laos you can get accommodation in a lot of places for 8-10USD. Honestly though, if you don't party too much and you go cheap on some accommodation this should get you by.

Vietnam is mighty big, and I think it at least needs 3 weeks if you just want to sample the regions - Hanoi/Halong Bay 1 week, Hue/Hoian 1 week, Saigon/Delta 1 week . . . figuring in with that at least a day to get between regions. This may mean you want to keep Cambodia down to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap for just around a week . . . you also have to think about BKK, north of Thailand and relaxing on islands as probably taking up a little more than a week.

I'd probably recommend you head north to Chiang Mai, work through Northern Laos over to Northern Vietnam, down Vietnam to Saigon - up form Can Tho to Cambodia through the delta, over to Siem Reap. . . from there you, either fly over to the western Thailand islands to end your trip with sun and sand, or go overland to Ko Chang . . .check the weather to decide.

#2 Posted: 7/3/2013 - 19:25

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Oh - this would also have the benefit, of if you work overland through Laos to Hanoi it shouldn't take a full 2 weeks and save you a couple of days. You could also go from Huay Xia down river ot Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng and Vientiane in just under a two weeks and then fly over to Hanoi from Vientiane.

#3 Posted: 7/3/2013 - 21:00

• emmah

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2013

Okay great, that's a good starting point! Thanks

#4 Posted: 8/3/2013 - 10:33

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Vietnam is really big and needs at least 3 to 4 weeks to begin to see it. Surface travel in VN can be a problem - I suggest you use buses as little as possible (train and plane are better/safer). You should really read this Tripadvisor posting

Less time needed for Cambodia and Laos

#5 Posted: 8/3/2013 - 12:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Budget for suggested itinerary: THE REGION: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam explorer ... By quddus on 11 Nov 2008 1 5157 28 Nov 2008
Budget and Itinerary for 65 days in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia ... By Floppy on 2 Oct 2012 0 1983 2 Oct 2012
SE Asia Budget - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thai Islands ... By lauraandmark on 4 Sep 2008 3 6107 21 Sep 2009
Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam) ... By snowowl on 22 Feb 2010 2 4082 26 Feb 2010
Yet another itinerary...6.5 weeks Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia ... By woodstock8 on 26 May 2010 4 4658 1 Jun 2010
Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam) ... By snowowl on 22 Feb 2010 3 2817 23 Feb 2010
Help on my five week itinerary through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia ... By nateyu on 19 Nov 2007 9 5914 20 Dec 2010
Itinerary Advice please!!! Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia ... By seanstenning on 8 Jul 2007 6 3858 10 Jul 2007
Itinerary Cambodia / Vietnam / Laos / Northern Thailand ... By schwev on 18 Nov 2013 0 741 18 Nov 2013
Itinerary advice - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam ... By Tiga74 on 15 Apr 2013 17 3856 27 May 2013