Southeast Asia forum

SouthEast Asia : Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam Tour Suggestions

• jexplore

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2013

Hello Travelers.

New member here and am looking for some help from everyone who can recommend the best possible ways to enjoy my leave next year. Me and my friend would like to visit 3 SEA Countries and based on some research, we found Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam route seems to be the best way to go.

We're planning for a two week trip in those countries but still clueless on what's the best possible way to cross country and what to do with each countries. Here's what we plan:

Thailand - 7 Days
    Cambodia - 3 Days
    Vietnam - 5 Days

We'd like to avoid flights as much as possible but if the travel takes a day, then might as well better to take a plane ride. Do you think this is possible at a budget rate of $2000? We don't need visas since we are from Philippines.

Is it better to go Thailand - Cambodia - Vietnam or is it better to go Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand?

What route and activities can you guys suggest for this trip? Major interest will be beaches, food and famous places of each country.

Fairly open to suggestions really. Appreciate every input of everyone!

Regards,
    Jay

#1 Posted: 10/3/2013 - 08:48

• Advertisement

• TimmyG

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2013

Wow, do you like travelling or do you actually like to see some stuff in those countries? 15 days is barely enough to see one of those countries, let alone three! I suggest to spend your time in one of those countries, for instance travel to Bangkok and work your way in 14 days up to Chiang Mai. Or work your way down towards the Southern Thailand Islands.
    Or travel to Ho Chi Minh City and work your way up to Hanoi.

#2 Posted: 11/3/2013 - 10:27

• jexplore

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2013

This is actually my first out of a country travel so I'd like to see a little bit of each for experience. I'm thinking of spending Bangkok for 7 days and then travel via land to Cambodia.

For thailand, I'm not sure what's the best side trip we can make from Bangkok to another part of thailand? Somewhere we can spend 3 days perhaps and go back to Bangkok to travel to Cambodia.

Any suggestion in this?

#3 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 02:10

• jexplore

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2013

So this is what I have in mind for my travel:

Day 1 Arrival Bangkok
    Day 2 Bangkok Day
    Day 3 Open
    Day 4 Open
    Day 5 Open
    Day 6 Open
    Day 7 Bangkok to Cambodia Overland
    Day 8 Cambodia Day 1
    Day 9 Cambodia Day 2
    Day 10 Cambodia Day 3
    Day 11 Cambodia to Hannoi Vietnam (Undecided to go via land/sea/air)
    Day 12 Open
    Day 13 Open
    Day 14 Open
    Day 15 Going Home (Philippines)

Can someone suggest something to do with the open days I mentioned?

Appreciate the responses :)

#4 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 02:34

• TimmyG

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2013

Hard to get combine famous places with beaches in such a short time. For famous places i suggest the following itinerary.

Day 1 Arrival Bangkok
    Day 2 Bangkok Day
    Day 3 Bangkok - Kanchanaburi
    Day 4 Kanchanaburi
    Day 5 Kanchanaburi - Ayutthaya
    Day 6 Ayutthaya
    Day 7 Bangkok to Siem Reap ( Angkor Wat)
    Day 8 Siem Reap
    Day 9 Siem Reap - Phnom Penh
    Day 10 Phnom Penh
    Day 11 Phnom Penh to Hannoi Vietnam (Undecided to go via land/sea/air)
    Day 12 Hanoi
    Day 13 Ha Long Bay
    Day 14 Ha Long Bay
    Day 15 Going Home (Philippines)

If you want to include beaches you might do

Day 1 Arrival Bangkok
    Day 2 Bangkok Day
    Day 3 Bangkok - Koh Chang
    Day 4 Koh Chang
    Day 5 Koh Chang
    Day 6 Koh Chang
    Day 7 Koh Chang to Siem Reap (Angkor Wat)

You could add a day Kanchanaburi or Ayutthaya or Khao Yai (National Park) between Bangkok and Koh Chang. But I suggest to limit the number of places in Thailand to three as you dont want only travel-days. In Cambodia Angkor Wat is a must-visit. In Vietnam Ha Long Bay is a must-visit.
    If finances are not an issue, you should travel by plane as this will take wayyy shorter. Cambodia - Hanoi is only possible by air if you want to spend some days there as well.

Note that I havent been in S.E.A. yet, i only got my information from the internet ;). Hope my suggestions are OK!

#5 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 03:38

• jexplore

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2013

Hi Tim, getting a bigger view on the trip based on your response. Thanks a lot really. But I have question:

Thailand to Cambodia:

I do like the beach side trip since its gonna be city tour for Bangkok Anyway. I want the bus trip from Thailand to Cambodia though. Are there beaches if we go Bangkok - Kanchanaburi - Ayutthaya - Siem Reap Route?

Or if we go Bangkok - Koh Chang for the beach trip, will there be a land ride from Koh Chang to Siem Reap?

I've read Chiang Mai can be another side trip from Bangkok, what do they offer there?

From Cambodia to Vietnam:

I'm willing to fly from Cambodia to Vietnam via cambodiaangkorair.com as its fairly short trip. In Vietnam, Im more interested with the Halong Bay Cruise for sure plus a Hannoi city tour. Is it better/cheaper to fly from Phnom Penh to Hannoi or Siem Rep to Hannoi is better? I'm not so sure if Phnom Penh trip from Siem Rep will be worth it for a day or better if we stick to Siem Rep with Angkor Wats?

Thanks a lot in advance for the response!

#6 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 03:56

• TimmyG

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2013

As I said, I haven't been there yet (I will go in August) and therefore the more specific questions have to be answered by someone else.

I've read that there is a possibility to go from Koh Chang to Siem Reap overland, however this will likely take a large amount of travelling.

You should check Google Maps for the locations. There you can see that Chiang Mai is a long way north. You can take a night train, so this may be possible (but does not include beaches):
    Day 1 Arrival Bangkok
    Day 2 Bangkok Day
    Day 3 Bangkok Day and nighttrain to Chiang Mai
    Day 4 Chiang Mai
    Day 5 Chiang Mai
    Day 6 Chiang Mai and nighttrain to Bangkok
    Day 7 Bangkok to Siem Reap (Angkor Wat)

Indeed maybe you should skip Phnom Penh and spend your time in Siem Reap. I've read that you can easily spend at least three days there. And 1 day for Phnom Penh may be a bit short.

#7 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 04:29

• jexplore

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2013

Hi Tim!

After number of days of researching, I have finally decided to pick Pattaya as a side trip from Bangkok. From Bangkok Airport, we'd like to head directly to Pattaya for 4 Days and then go back to Bangkok for 3 Days.

Now, I just have to figure out the things to do for Pattaya and should be set :)

On Day 7, leave Bangkok to Cambodia via land. Spend for three days there and you are right, stick with Siem Reap . Then, we'll fly from Siem Reap to Hanoi to spend the remaining days :)

#8 Posted: 14/3/2013 - 03:54

• mariajames

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

In Vietnam, Im added absorbed with the Halong Bay Cruise for abiding additional a Hannoi city-limits tour. Is it better/cheaper to fly from to Hannoi or Siem Rep to Hannoi is bette

#9 Posted: 20/3/2013 - 11:13

• Toursinviet-
    nam

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2013
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

Welcome you return to Vietnam, Tours in Vietnam is website you can search a best tour in vietnam, have fun!

#10 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 21:03

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Tour of Southeast Asia..Help ... By ilookold on 28 Jun 2009 7 3443 8 Jul 2009
Travel Itinerary - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam. Any suggestions? ... By rossco on 1 Aug 2011 4 3873 2 Aug 2011
Why Thailand is Still the Best Southeast Asia Destination ... By exacto on 19 Jul 2014 14 2328 24 Jul 2014
SIM card for Thailand and Southeast Asia? ... By TheNewGuy8 on 28 Sep 2010 12 22185 19 Feb 2012
volunteering in southeast asia/thailand? ... By hobo on 1 May 2013 2 2715 22 May 2013
First Time to Southeast Asia: Thailand and Laos or just Thailand? ... By jcro on 6 Dec 2013 8 1610 2 Sep 2014
Staying fit and in shape after thailand/southeast asia? ... By lola899 on 1 Jun 2011 5 5384 11 Dec 2012
Southeast Asia itinerary advice and Vietnam visa ... By Pete03 on 28 May 2013 2 1451 1 Jun 2013
Travel buddies wanted SE Asia (Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand) 22nd Nov - 1st Feb ... By LottieJ on 14 Nov 2012 0 1277 14 Nov 2012
10 week grand tour - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia... ... By HomerJSimpson on 18 Apr 2007 4 2940 20 Jun 2007