Southeast Asia forum

2 SE Asia questions

• federer_fan-
    _456

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2013

Firstly I am planning a 2-3 month trip, I am thinking about going to Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand & Vietnam spending about 2 weeks in each 7 countries. I have excluded Burma, Singapore, Brunei & East Timor as they don't seem all that interesting. Is this enough time to spend in each country to see a fair amount of things?

Secondly, would 6000 (USD) be enough for flights (departing & returning from Australia, food, accommodation & spending money? The reason I am limiting myself to 14 weeks is due to my financial constraints. I'm not fussy about using the cheapest flights & am happy to eat "street food" for the most part but I need to stay in hotels (3 star minimum).

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Jacob.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

#1 Posted: 23/3/2013 - 20:34

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

2 weeks isn't enough for Vietnam or Thailand unless you just want to see a certain part(ex north or south), I would say you need at least 3 weeks in each of these to get a good taste. 2 weeks for Laos and Cambodia is decent. Not sure of the rest as I haven't been there but I believe 2 weeks is probably close for them as well..

I just did a 16 week trip through Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam and in total including flights(from Canada, $1400 round trip) it cost me $6200 so your trip is doable. That said it sounds like you may be slightly picky on accommodation so that could very well make it cost more for you as I was willing to stay in hostels in more expensive cities as well as cheap guesthouses(fan rooms and often cold water).

My target was $30 a day and was only spending around $10 on accommodation on average. If you want to stay in decent hotel rooms with ac/hot water etc you will probably have to bump that up to $40 a day. Some tours etc were extra on my $30 per day but that is all captured in my $6200 total spent.

I have a some more info on financing on post 3 of the following thread that may help you.
    http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/financemoney/21356_budgeting-for-6-countries-in-four-months-#3

#2 Posted: 23/3/2013 - 20:56

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

2 weeks in the Philippines isn't much. You might get 2-3 destinations depending where you go.

#3 Posted: 24/3/2013 - 06:07

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

For planning purposes remmember this important phrase: Less is more.

SEA isn't a place about seeing things. There are, of course, things to see. But this place is about the slower pace of life, the easy going attitudes, and a different feel than you'd have back home. If you want to see things, go to Europe. Europe beats everywhere for seeing things.

#4 Posted: 24/3/2013 - 06:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.