Southeast Asia forum

10 days -Bangkok, Laos, Cambodia - HELP

• ktowngirl50

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2013

I have 10 days to travel from Bangkok and would love to go to luang prabang, vientiane, and siem reap. I can fly (on a budget), and need to figure out the best route.
    Any help that can be provided would be appreciated. Yes, I know it is ambitious.
    thanks

#1 Posted: 26/3/2013 - 14:43

• Advertisement

• 2travel

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2013

You can travel from Bangkok (BKK) to Siem Reap (REP) by flying with Cambodia Angkor Air. You can book online. There are additional charges for checking luggage.
    You can travel from Siem Reap by flying with Lao Airlines. Make sure the web page states that it is the official site.

#2 Posted: 26/3/2013 - 19:01

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

This is official site: http://www.laoairlines.com/

Bangkok Air do a Discovery Pass that may be of interest: http://www2.bangkokair.com/en/plan-your-trip/discovery-airpass/how-it-work.php

#3 Posted: 26/3/2013 - 19:53

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

To save some money probably best to fly from BKK to Udon Thani and then cross overland to Vientiane . It'll take you an entire day to take the bus from Vientiane to Luang Prabang (10-12 hrs last I heard, but that was a few years ago) - then you can fly from LP to SR. Even if you reverse your trip - keep in mind that Udon Thani to BKK either way will save a good bit of time and be cheaper . . . though with such a short trip I'd consider cutting Vientiane out of the schedule.

#4 Posted: 26/3/2013 - 20:44

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

With that limited time frame, I would skip Vientaine - just not as interesting as Siem Reap or Luang Prabang

#5 Posted: 30/3/2013 - 13:43

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

2 days Bangkok - Fly to Siem Reap with Angkor Air
    3 days Siem Reap - Fly to Luang Prabang with Lao Airlines
    3 days Luang Prabang - Fly to Bangkok with Lao Airlines
    2 days Bangkok

You might want to add a day to SR or LP and drop one from BK?

#6 Posted: 31/3/2013 - 08:29

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Vientiane isn't really worth seeing imo, especially since you are so short on time. Phnom Penh isn't amazing but I would go there instead since it is probably your best bet without too much travel. Killing fields and Tuol Sleng prison are a must for every visitor to Cambodia imo. The national museum is nice after seeing the temples in Siem Reap and the Royal Palace looks nice but was closed when I was there.

As for itinerary it depends how much you like temples etc. I enjoyed the temples and started off with seeing a couple of the ones outside of the main group, very glad I did 3 days as 1 day would have never been enough for me. I mixed it up and did 2 days temples, 1 day break and then final day temples leaving the best for last.

Phnom Penh would be worth a couple days if you decided to go there. That leaves around 3-4 days in Luang Prabang which is decent.

I would start in Siem Reap spend 3.5 days there and take an evening bus to Phnom Penh on the last day, spend 2 days there then fly to Luang Prabang that night or next morning giving you 4 days in Luang Prabang.

#7 Posted: 31/3/2013 - 12:48

• ktowngirl50

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2013

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Have booked flights using the Discovery Pass through Bangkok Airways and had no problem with booking process or getting e-tickets.

#8 Posted: 6/4/2013 - 08:31

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

So what does the final schedule look like? Did you decide to cut Vientiane?

#9 Posted: 6/4/2013 - 08:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.