Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

10 days -Bangkok, Laos, Cambodia - HELP

Posted by ktowngirl50 on 26/3/2013 at 14:43

I have 10 days to travel from Bangkok and would love to go to luang prabang, vientiane, and siem reap. I can fly (on a budget), and need to figure out the best route.
Any help that can be provided would be appreciated. Yes, I know it is ambitious.
thanks

#1 ktowngirl50 has been a member since 26/3/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by 2travel on 26/3/2013 at 19:01

You can travel from Bangkok (BKK) to Siem Reap (REP) by flying with Cambodia Angkor Air. You can book online. There are additional charges for checking luggage.
You can travel from Siem Reap by flying with Lao Airlines. Make sure the web page states that it is the official site.

#2 2travel has been a member since 26/3/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by busylizzy on 26/3/2013 at 19:53

This is official site: http://www.laoairlines.com/

Bangkok Air do a Discovery Pass that may be of interest: http://www2.bangkokair.com/en/plan-your-trip/discovery-airpass/how-it-work.php

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by caseyprich on 26/3/2013 at 20:44

To save some money probably best to fly from BKK to Udon Thani and then cross overland to Vientiane . It'll take you an entire day to take the bus from Vientiane to Luang Prabang (10-12 hrs last I heard, but that was a few years ago) - then you can fly from LP to SR. Even if you reverse your trip - keep in mind that Udon Thani to BKK either way will save a good bit of time and be cheaper . . . though with such a short trip I'd consider cutting Vientiane out of the schedule.

#4 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by daawgon on 30/3/2013 at 13:43

With that limited time frame, I would skip Vientaine - just not as interesting as Siem Reap or Luang Prabang

#5 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,093

Posted by JaiYen88 on 31/3/2013 at 08:29

2 days Bangkok - Fly to Siem Reap with Angkor Air
3 days Siem Reap - Fly to Luang Prabang with Lao Airlines
3 days Luang Prabang - Fly to Bangkok with Lao Airlines
2 days Bangkok

You might want to add a day to SR or LP and drop one from BK?

#6 JaiYen88 has been a member since 25/4/2012. Posts: 110

Posted by Geer1 on 31/3/2013 at 12:48

Vientiane isn't really worth seeing imo, especially since you are so short on time. Phnom Penh isn't amazing but I would go there instead since it is probably your best bet without too much travel. Killing fields and Tuol Sleng prison are a must for every visitor to Cambodia imo. The national museum is nice after seeing the temples in Siem Reap and the Royal Palace looks nice but was closed when I was there.

As for itinerary it depends how much you like temples etc. I enjoyed the temples and started off with seeing a couple of the ones outside of the main group, very glad I did 3 days as 1 day would have never been enough for me. I mixed it up and did 2 days temples, 1 day break and then final day temples leaving the best for last.

Phnom Penh would be worth a couple days if you decided to go there. That leaves around 3-4 days in Luang Prabang which is decent.

I would start in Siem Reap spend 3.5 days there and take an evening bus to Phnom Penh on the last day, spend 2 days there then fly to Luang Prabang that night or next morning giving you 4 days in Luang Prabang.

#7 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by ktowngirl50 on 6/4/2013 at 08:31

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Have booked flights using the Discovery Pass through Bangkok Airways and had no problem with booking process or getting e-tickets.

#8 ktowngirl50 has been a member since 26/3/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by caseyprich on 6/4/2013 at 08:36

So what does the final schedule look like? Did you decide to cut Vientiane?

#9 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.