Southeast Asia forum

100 Days in SE Asia - Itinerary and Accommodation

• kaliixx

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2013
    Location Canada

Basically just wondering if anyone has some advice, or sees something that won't work, or any suggestions. This itinerary is 2 months in the making, and my 'final' version... in quotations since I'm sure it will change before I leave in September.

ALSO, if anyone has been to any of the locations below and stayed somewhere for less than $10 CAD/USD for a double room in the last year or so, I would love to write down the name and place. It'll save time running around looking for a bed to sleep in. The reason for this is I need to stick to my budget, and the prices here on Travelfish seem to be out of date for the most part.

THANKS!

Kuta - 3 nights
    bus >
    Padang Bai - 4 nights
    bus >
    Kuta - 1 night
    fly, bus >
    Jepara - 1 night
    ferry >
    Karimunjawa - 7 nights
    ferry, bus >
    Yogyakarta - 1 night
    bus >
    Pangandaran - 5 nights
    bus, fly >
    Bangkok - 4 nights
    bus >
    Sukhothai - 2 nights
    bus >
    Chiang Mai - 5 nights
    bus >
    Pai - 3 nights
    train, bus, ferry >
    Koh Chang - 6 nights
    ferry >
    Koh Maak - 6 nights
    ferry, bus, train, bus >
    Vang Vieng - 4 nights
    bus >
    Luang Prabang - 4 nights
    bus >
    Nong Khiaw - 3 nights
    ferry >
    Muang Ngoi - 4 nights
    ferry >
    Luang Prabang - 1 night
    bus >
    Vang Vieng - 1 night
    bus >
    Don Dhet - 5 nights
    bus >
    Kratie - 2 nights
    bus >
    Phnom Penh - 2 nights
    bus >
    Kampot - 3 nights
    bus >
    Sihanoukville - 4 nights
    ferry >
    Koh Rong - 5 nights
    ferry >
    Sihanoukville - 1 night
    bus >
    Siem Reap - 3 nights

#1 Posted: 1/4/2013 - 17:22

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Kaliixx,

Should be a great time (it looks like a good pace - not too rushed).

I haven't been to most of those places, but I stayed at the perfectly nice TR Guesthouse in Sukhothai - current prices on their website are 300B for an ensuite double with fan, which should fit in your budget.

Your budget for accommodation is quite tight, so I'd suggest you do plenty of research to find possible places, so you have a hit-list for when you arrive, and don't have to waste too much time going from place to place trying to find something you like that's also in budget. Have you checked the websites (where they exist) of the places reviewed on Travelfish for current prices? Or see if they're listed on Hostalworld-type sites, to get an idea of current prices?

You may have to share bathrooms sometimes (and most likely do without air-con all the time) to be able to fit into that budget, but hopefully it should still be doable in most places. Other Travelfishers can probably steer you more than I can (as I tend more towards flashpacker places).

Good luck and have a great time!

#2 Posted: 14/4/2013 - 14:10

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I just did 4 months in Thialand/Laos/Cambodia and Vietnam and went to many of the same places you did. I had no trouble finding accommodation and spending $10 a night is possible in almost all those places, there might be the odd one that you have to pay up as high as $15 but that was the max I spent on a room on my trip.

Just note that usually means staying in fan rooms with cold water and sometimes shared washrooms in many places and in the odd place you may have to resort to a dorm room or find a stranger to share a twin or triple bed room(often not much more then a double bed room). The really cheap places might smell a little funky or have questionable bedding but I just took a sleeping bag sheet with me and made sure there were no bed bugs(check since the odd places have them especially in cheap Laos guesthouses). Cambodia has quite decent accommodation available for cheap and you shouldn't have any issues there.

The trick I used for finding accommodation was to first look on hostelworld etc when I knew when I was going to be in a certain location. If I found something I usually just went to their website and booked directly through them(don't have to pay ahead most times that way). If I couldn't find anything I just made a mental note of where most of the cheap accommodation was located and headed in that direction as there are always places that aren't online. Lonely planet guide for Vietnam was useless but I would highly recommend the Cambodian book as it made it very easy to find accommodation and figure out where the bus offices were. I didn't have one for Laos or Thailand so can't comment on them.

The big thing is to know that there are places where you can get a room for $5-6(especially in Laos and Cambodia) so use those to offset the places where you have to pay a little more. Sometimes you may even be able to find a dorm for as cheap as $3. When travelling I decided to pretty much take the cheapest room I could find(as long as there weren't bed bugs) since it allowed more money for food and doing things. Sometimes paying an extra buck or two is all it takes to get a noticeably better room though.

#3 Posted: 14/4/2013 - 15:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Critique our itinerary: 26 days in SE Asia ... By pcharrig on 21 Feb 2011 4 3943 21 Aug 2012
Help with 35 days itinerary in South East Asia ... By leopaik on 16 Jan 2011 7 3315 18 Jan 2011
16 days to travel Southeast Asia- Itinerary HELP? ... By kelcatalina on 4 Apr 2012 3 3521 4 Apr 2012