Southeast Asia forum

FIRST TIME TRAVELER

• claire86

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2013

hi, I need some serious advice, I want to go traveling round southeast asia for 3 to 6 months starting january 2014 with my 8 year old son and 2 and half year old daughter, ive no idea where to start, I don't even know if I know how to travel if that makes sense, do I need savings before hand, are hostels safe for my kids? visas, flights, packing, how to travel, where to go first, any advice, no matter how big or small any info is much appreciated,

#1 Posted: 3/4/2013 - 10:56

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I think you need to start reading the guidebooks. You certainly need savings. You should know that January is high season in this part of the world - meaning more expensive than other times of the year, and reservations harder to get.

#2 Posted: 3/4/2013 - 14:17

• claire86

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2013

Would £1200 a month be enough for all 3 of us to eat travel and accomodation ?

#3 Posted: 3/4/2013 - 14:24

• Brute

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2012

You don't find too many hostel type places in sea, there are alot of cheaper places though roughly 10-25 per night that would be good. Im
    Not too sure how picky you are on what you want because obviously the price will rise with each luxury you add.

I've never found any accommodation to be unsafe in Asia and there's never been a situation where I've felt in danger. The main issue I see is trying to find a room with enough beds for you within your budget. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this

1200 is a fair amount of money but once again it depends on you. I drink and alot and do lots of diving and myself and my wife budget around 60 total per day of travel, keep in mind were 2 adults staying in decent places.

#4 Posted: 3/4/2013 - 23:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

There's a lot of variables here. Why do you want to travel? What is the point? That is a good place to start. Is this just a long term vacation, or is the point to see different cultures (or just one different culture?) You have an eight year old. What's the plan for school? Is there a plan? I mean, this is tough to answer without sufficient info.

#5 Posted: 4/4/2013 - 03:14

• claire86

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2013

Thanks for all your replies, I want to see different cultures and experience how other people live, as for my sons school, ill educate him whilst we are their, he will be learning so much, I plan to do a journal that he will be writing in about what we have seen and photos chances are his school will give him work too, my main concern at the min, is how long its going to take to get from place to place, I only plan on using buses and trains, starting off in Singapore

#6 Posted: 4/4/2013 - 03:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

OK, if you move around a lot, you experience less. If you move around less, you experience more. If you move around more, you see more. If you move around less, you see less.

Lanuguage is culture. Your son could learn one of these languages passably well if you put him in school here. If you move from country to country, they won't learn hardly any language.

So if you want passport stamps and happy snaps, then you want a lot of movement.

If you want cultural absorbtion, you want a little movement.

You got enough money for either.

#7 Posted: 4/4/2013 - 03:35

• steevennsmi-
    thh

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2013

if you going trip to southeast Asia please help Internet and guidebook
    internet gives you a lot of information about this.

#8 Posted: 4/4/2013 - 16:17

• DesmondTeng

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2013
    Location Singapore

Hi Claire, if you start off from Singapore, the next country to visit would be Malaysia.

Traveling to the Singapore Customs via the local MRT system, you can take a bus to Malaysia's state of Johor.
    From there you can stay for a day or two and take a bus (approx 4 hours) to the capital, Kular Lumpur. You can purchase bus tickets at the Larkin bus interchange in Johor.

From Kular Lumpur, you can take a bus to Thailand. But I would seriously advise you not to do that, the travel time is just too long!
    Just catch a flight from the many budget airlines from Malaysia to Thailand.

As for accommodation, you can check out airbnb. It would be culturally more interesting for your kids to stay where the local stays.

#9 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 02:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
First Time Traveler - Itinerary ... By jackRussel on 24 Aug 2010 5 1975 3 Sep 2010