Southeast Asia forum

SE Asia Trip: Hong Kong, Thailand, Siem Reap, Indonesia - itinerary and transport advice please!

• magalaya

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2013

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are leaving for our SE Asia trip in 2 weeks (!!!) but we were hoping for some advice on how to get from the Southern Gulf Islands in Thailand to Bali...I'll detail the rough itinerary of our entire trip below - let me know your thoughts, suggestions, anything! We're keeping most of it open and haven't booked anything besides our accommodations in Hong Kong and Bangkok.

Apr 19 - Apr 22: Hong Kong (fly to Bangkok on the 22nd)
    Apr 22 - Apr 25/26: Bangkok
    Apr 25/26 - Apr 28/29: Siem Reap OR Chiang Mai (either bus to Siem Reap or train to Chiang Mai. We may fly back, depending on how much flights cost, if it will save us considerable time)
    Apr 28/29 - May 12/13: Gulf Islands (Ko Tao, Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui ) (train or fly through Bangkok or direct if we can manage it...)
    May 12/13 - May 20/21: Bali (southern Bali, Ubud, and Amed)
    May 20/21 - May 26: Lombok and Gili Islands (ferry from Bali)
    May 26 - June 1: Java (we realllllly want to go to the Karimunjawa Islands, but don't know if we'll be able to squeeze it in - it sounds like travel to them really depends on the weather!) (ferry or flight from Bali or Lombok)
    June 2: Fly home

My main question is this: what is the best way to get from the southern Gulf Islands to Bali? We are okay with paying for flights provided they aren't exorbitant, but I am guessing we will have to get to either Surat Thani, Krabi, or Phuket to fly over? Is this right? Would this involve taking a ferry from Ko Samui - Don Sak and then a bus to Surat Thani/Phuket/Krabi? As far as I can tell most airlines don't have a direct flight for this route or even a set flight with a short layover (all the ones I've found have a minimum 4 hour layover!)

More generally...what do you think of the trip itinerary as a whole? We tried to balance out sightseeing with island hopping and beaching, and we deliberately arranged it so the first 2 weeks or so of our trip we're doing more jumping around and sightseeing and are taking it a little more easy after that initial leg. I hope we're not trying to do too much. We had to make some cuts - Luang Prabang was on our original itinerary but we couldn't figure out how to make it work without spending tons of time in transport or forking over a lot of money for a flight.

Any suggestions, feedback, advice, must-sees, etc. are much appreciated! Thanks :)

#1 Posted: 4/4/2013 - 00:28

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'd get a boat from Surat Thani , then take Air Asia from Surat Thani to KL, then from KL to Denpasar (Bali). Not sure how the prices work out but if you can take advantage of one of their sales, it could work out not too expensive.

From the islands, you will be able to organise a ferry/bus ride all the way through to Surat Thani airport - or you may need to stay overnight in ST, depending on flight times.

I just did some quick checks on Air Asia for fun and there are some promo deals on 11 May. Yes, there would be a 4 hour layover, but seriously, that's not too bad. (You do need to allow time for delays, bag collection, checkin times, etc).

#2 Posted: 4/4/2013 - 01:09

• magalaya

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2013

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, we ended up booking a flight through Air Asia...I called Cathay Pacific and they require proof of onward travel so we had to provide confirmation that we would be leaving Thailand in 30 days, and the sale made it reasonably priced. It totally blew my mind how many fees Air Asia charges though! Jeebus, I guess that's how they get away with claiming "cheap" fares!!

#3 Posted: 8/4/2013 - 00:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Siem Reap to Hong Kong - non stop flights? ... By travelingchinese on 2 Jul 2009 5 16436 6 Jul 2009
Itinerary advice on 18night trip from Hanoi -> Siem Reap ... By astewart_123 on 6 Oct 2012 0 1847 6 Oct 2012
Mae Hong Song Loop Transport Advice Needed! ... By garnetbk on 9 Jan 2012 1 1870 9 Jan 2012
30 CBC male from toronto visiting hong kong, macu, china, SE Asia *2011* Jan - June ... By ryder80 on 19 Dec 2010 12 2062 16 Jan 2011
SE Asia June 25 thru July, departing August 3/4. Hong Kong/Malaysia/Singapore Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos ... By starlitdazzle on 26 May 2009 1 3468 5 Jul 2010
Hong Kong --> Vietnam Or Thailand. What would you choose? =) Thanks ... By Seven10Hearts on 12 Nov 2013 4 763 17 Dec 2013
Itinerary and Transport Advice ... By GattinaRosa on 28 Jul 2014 10 680 4 Aug 2014
Koh Kong to Siem Reap ... By magicFly on 17 Aug 2014 2 402 18 Aug 2014
Overnight transport PP to Siem Reap? ... By Yun on 22 Aug 2007 4 1728 4 Sep 2007
Transport Siem Reap to Nha Trang ... By lbeckman on 19 Jul 2007 1 2322 19 Jul 2007