Southeast Asia forum

Two months itinerary including Myanmar

• bcking

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2013
    Location United States

Hello! I have done a fair amount of research, but I have a somewhat confusing situation for travelling in SE Asia.

I will be studying in Bangkok for three months and then have a few months to myself. From Bangkok I believe we will be going to northern Thailand for about 9 days, and we will have weekends to explore Bangkok and other parts of Thailand. I know for sure we will be going to Koh Samet for a bit of beach time. Other than that it's just weekend trips during the semester.

For the backpacking part I don't really want to get too specific in my itinerary, but ballpark the number of days in each country to get around to at least most of my interests.

Interests: Temples, mountains, caves, waterfalls, elephants/wildlife, markets, meeting locals, eating local food, etc.
    Disinterests(?): Beaches, cities where partying backpackers is the main attraction (I'm not against partying or grabbing a drink here and there...I just don't want it to be the primary reason someone would go to a certain place)

So...my itinerary is tricky because I don't know how much more Thailand I will be craving when I'm done studying. But I am planning on around 9 weeks of travel (around 63 days):

1-4: Apply for Myanmar in Bangkok, hit Koh Samet or easily accessible beach for a couple days, return to Bangkok.
    5-21: Myanmar (Bagan, Mandalay, Yangon, Inle Lake, etc.? Extend for Mrauk U?)
    22-24: Bangkok --> Vientiane
    24-39: Laos (Vientiane, Vang Vieng, Luang Prabang ,etc.)
    40-41: Laos --> Vietnam (Would it just be better to fly into Hanoi from Luang Prabang than try a border crossing?)
    42-57: Vietnam (Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Phong Nha, Da Nang, Hoi An, Saigon, etc.)
    58-62: Cambodia (I've been before. I loved it so very much. I may just fly to Siem Reap and see Angkor for a finale, would love to have time for Preah Vihear and Battambang since I didn't get to go...but if time is an issue, I will unfortunately be most willing to take from my beloved Cambodia.)
    63: Fly home.

Any tips on the best ways to get from country to country would be great. Hopefully I could get at least one more week and add to Cambodia, Myanmar, or Vietnam. Any suggested lengths to take or add are greatly appreciated as well. I know there will be times where I won't want to leave for a week here and there. So just a general itinerary is all I'm looking for.

Thank you!

#1 Posted: 9/4/2013 - 02:26

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
16 days itinerary advice - including trip questions ... By Jaimyvandijke on 26 Jul 2013 4 1451 29 Jul 2013
66 days in Sth east asia - including Burma: please feel free to fine tune this hectic itinerary ... By johnno on 7 Jun 2010 3 2406 7 Jun 2010