Southeast Asia forum

North Korea Situation and Thailand/Laos/Cambodia?

• jennigun

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2012

I will be in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia from late April until late June. Do you think I should be concerned about the situation in North Korea? I obviously care about what is going on in a global sense, but should I be concerned for my safety? How are relations between Thailand and North Korea?

#1 Posted: 10/4/2013 - 11:34

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I doubt anyone here is giving it that much thought. So Kim Jong Un wants to throw his toys out of the pram. Seems he's just trying to gain some awesomeness with the masses and legitimacy (in his dreams) with the international community. Seriously I wouldn't let it influence your decision to travel in Thailand/Laos/Cambodia at all. It's a far cry from Hitler circa 1938.

#2 Posted: 10/4/2013 - 11:50

• jennigun

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2012

Thanks, that was my thinking as well. I have no intentions of canceling the trip, just wanted to see what the general mood is!

#3 Posted: 10/4/2013 - 12:06

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I'm in China which abuts North Korea and here it isn't seen as too serious. Really just saber-rattling that comes every spring and not nearly so bad as 2010 - most likely a play on the domestic front. I can see where people in Japan and Dongbei might be a little edgy, but SE Asia doesn't really need to follow this story at all.

#4 Posted: 10/4/2013 - 20:30

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Fully agree with comments by Captain Bob and Casey above -- I personally would not even cancel travel plans to South Korea at the moment.

There are no real tensions between Thailand, Cambodia or Laos (or ASEAN in general) and North Korea as far as I know. Kim Jong Un might be unpredictable, but I highly doubt he's going to say "Let's nuke Chiang Mai!" just for the hell of it.

To put it into perspective -- someone in the US is far more 'threatened' by North Korea than someone in Southeast Asia.

I'd be interested to hear Madmac's input on this one.

#5 Posted: 10/4/2013 - 22:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

To start with the OP, dude, look at the map. North Korea is not exactly right next door. North Korea couldn't care less about Thailand. It's a highly insular state that trades with whoever it can (and that ain't much) so it has occassionally found trading partners in Iran and Pakistan for example (North Korea does sell some crappy military equipment and minimal nuclear and missile technology). Thailand - not even on their radar screen. Cambodia - even less. Laos... nobody cares about Laos. The cold war is over, and Laos has nothing of interest to anyone. Chinese are developing some hyrdo dams...

DLuek - As for North Korea, they are highly unpredictable, but one thing is clear even to those knuckleheads. If there's a war, they'd lose and lose big. China, who now has made a Faustian pact with the US, is not going to fight for North Korea. The North Korean Army is pathetic. It's using 1950s and 1960s technology and is totally outclassed by the South Koreans even if we didn't help - and we would help. If North Korea lost, their leaders would lose their heads. They are well aware of this fact. So in spite of them being unpredictable, I would say that the safe money is on them not wanting to end up dead. Neither the South Koreans nor the Americans share European reticence to kill people we think need a good killing. So if these guys were captured at wars end, we'd be happy to try and then kill them. I think they are quite aware of this fact, so if self-preservation is an instinct they possess, I suspect they will talk big and do nothing.

#6 Posted: 10/4/2013 - 23:12

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Yup, that's about what I was expecting from you, Mac. :)

"Laos... Nobody cares about Laos." LOL

Not sure where the OP is from, but I've watched a few clips recently of US news (especially Fox) trying to make everyone all in a frenzy there about North Korea. If it wasn't North Korea, it'd be the latest band of amateur jihadists in Yemen or Libya or where-ever. If not that it would be some new virus or 'psycho squirrels' who bit some old lady in Kalamazoo. They'll always find a reason to try to scare people -- because fear attracts viewers. It's one thing I do not miss about living back there.

#7 Posted: 11/4/2013 - 09:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well, I don't watch much Fox. In fact, I don't watch much television news at all. I prefer print media. But if you look for something to get worked up about, you'll find it.

#8 Posted: 11/4/2013 - 11:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
North Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia. 5 weeks? ... By numberthree on 3 Apr 2011 3 3375 4 Apr 2011
North Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia - English 31/F - October & November ... By katiepeeps on 17 Aug 2012 2 1386 18 Aug 2012
Cambodia & Vietnam & Laos & North Thailand and Malaysia & Indonesia (Sumatra and Java) ... By schwev on 18 Nov 2013 0 593 18 Nov 2013
North Korea: An introduction ... By somtam2000 on 29 Jan 2013 17 2909 2 Oct 2013
North Korea as a tourist destination ... By sayadian on 30 Dec 2011 8 2174 4 Sep 2012
If I were gonna do a tour in North Korea... ... By mattocmd on 26 Nov 2013 3 1294 27 Nov 2013
Flood situation in Cambodia (and crossing into Thailand) ... By magicpixiejo on 22 Oct 2011 0 2659 22 Oct 2011
Lao authorities return refugees to North Korea ... By daawgon on 3 Jun 2013 11 1451 16 Oct 2013