Southeast Asia forum

Best time to travel around Southeast Asia for 6 months?

• Nibsynibsy

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2013

Hi there, this is my first post so please be gentle! Me and my girlfriend are planning a 6 month trip to Southeast Asia. We're in the early stages of planning but I think I know the path we'll be following roughly. We'll fly into Bangkok where we'll stay for a few days then head up north stoping at various places, then head into Laos followed by Vietnam, Cambodia and back into Thailand and travel south and hopefully make it to Singapor before we run out of money! We're planning to go at the start of May next year and I was wondering how the weather would be in these places as I know it's the rainy season and I hate rain! Thanks for any info

#1 Posted: 11/4/2013 - 06:54

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

If you hate rain why are you planning on spending nearly 6 months travelling in it? Why not go earlier or wait until rainy season is pretty much over?

#2 Posted: 11/4/2013 - 22:45

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Fair point Geer...however, with 6 months of travelling there's always going to be rain somewhere at some time, so it's just about planning the best you can and living with it if it does rain. Rain can be fun - honest. Or annoying.

Anyway, we travelled for 7 months, starting in July, so a bit later than you are but well and truly hitting rainy season in certain areas. We hadn't really considered it when planning (actually, didn't plan much, just packed and went) and did end up changing our route to avoid the worst of it (skipped quickly through Cambodia and headed south to Malaysia and Singapore then back to Laos / Northern Thailand out of rainy season) so only got affected by rain here and there and it certainly didn't spoil our trip (except in Phnom Penh but there was a lot else contributing to that as well...).

The point of my ramblings is plan as best you can to avoid the rainy hotspots (I'm not going to give you a run down of where's wet when as you can find all that out on this site), being prepared to perhaps have to backtrack a bit, but bear in mind that the rain is usually short and sweet and a good excuse to find a bar to sit in for an hour or two.

#3 Posted: 12/4/2013 - 00:30

• DesmondTeng

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2013
    Location Singapore

6 months is indeed a very long time and getting rain is definitely unavoidable!

However, you can always plan ahead and check the weather forecast and if there are any signs of wet weather,just plan for something indoors.

Alot of countries in SouthEast Asia has indoor attractions that can you can spend easily the whole day at.

While I can't speak for the other SouthEast Asian countries, here in Singapore we use the government's NEA website to check for the weather.

They have a range of forecast down to the next 3 hours!

#4 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 01:51

• mytravelo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013
    Location India

I think, Mid Nov is very good for travel around Southeast Asia. Like Thailand, Vietnam has three distinct climates. Hanoi gets downright chilly during the winter months.

#5 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 04:13

• renukapanth

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2013

Bali, Indonesia:
    In April to October, Temperatures remains 75-86 F and weather is dry.
    In December to February: Rainy Season average rain 12 inches.

Malaysia:

January to March and June to September: It is hot and humid year-round
    October to December: Rainy Season.

Singapore:

January to October. Weather is same as of Malaysia.
    November to December: Rainy Season, average rain is about 10 inches.

you can use makemytrip site for luxury and affordable service.

#6 Posted: 19/4/2013 - 08:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
2.5 months in Southeast Asia ... By WillMcP on 11 Feb 2013 2 1690 13 Feb 2013
3 Months In Southeast Asia ... By cn2011 on 1 Jul 2011 4 4344 8 Jul 2011
Southeast Asia AND Europe within 7 months? ... By mthawkins on 20 Mar 2014 13 1044 21 Mar 2014
Solo Traveller Southeast Asia Mid Nov 09 for around 7 months ... By kelsey09 on 25 Aug 2009 18 3933 16 Jul 2012
First time in Southeast Asia ... By cassrose on 30 Oct 2009 8 4154 2 Nov 2009
First time travelling through southeast asia, help please! :-)! ... By Fisher88 on 26 Apr 2011 1 3546 29 Apr 2011
First time solo traveler off to SE Asia for 3 months next month, would appreciate some advice. ... By NFT_Terrorist on 13 May 2014 12 1149 16 May 2014
travel companion for southeast asia ... By mmcphee7117 on 11 May 2011 1 3773 12 May 2011
Summer Southeast Asia Travel 2014 ... By Niklass on 10 Jul 2013 0 619 10 Jul 2013
16 days to travel Southeast Asia- Itinerary HELP? ... By kelcatalina on 4 Apr 2012 3 3026 4 Apr 2012