Southeast Asia forum

Thailand/Cambodia July 2007

• danallison

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2007

Im off to Thailand/Cambodia in 10 days, for 31 days.

I thought I should put my itinery up, and would welcome any comments you may have. I've lurked on this site for a while now, and most of my inspiration has come from here (and thorntree).

Bangkok - 2 nights
    Kanchanaburi - 4 nights
    Sangkhlaburi - 3 nights
    Bangkok - 2 nights (fly to PP)
    Phnom Penh - 2 nights
    Siem Reap - 6 nights
    Battambang - 3 nights
    Chanthaburi - 1 night
    Koh Chang - 5 nights
    bangkok - 3 nights

We do want to take it farily slowly, especially given the wet season, so it may seem quite pedestrian to some.

Im particularly curious about anyones thoughts on Koh Chang - I've looked at weather maps, and am familiar with weather patterns during the wet season in SEA - im after some honest opinions - should we bother, or are we better going straight back to BKK from Battambang, then flying down to the Samui group for the same time? Are we going to just be watching rain in Koh Chang?

Any other problems you can see?

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

#1 Posted: 22/6/2007 - 08:49

• Advertisement

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

hey there,
    i cant comment on the rest, as ive only been to a few of those destinations, but on the Koh Chang thing, personally i was there for 4 nights in july of last year. Out of the months travelling it was the one places i wish i hadnt gone to in all honesty. While i was there the rain was terrible (mid july) smoe days there was no let up at all. I also found that alot of the long term tourists and expats left the area to avoid the rain and come back towards autumn frmo people i spoke too. The places even when the rain lifted felt like it was half shut down for the low season even though the world cup was in full swing.
    i guess some love it, some dont, i didnt and the weather and season where probably the cause.

#2 Posted: 30/6/2007 - 18:16

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You will get a lot of rain on Ko Chang that time of year. Ko Samet is still close to Bangkok but gets a lot less rain -- could be a better alternative than flying down to Samui. Only other comment is 6 nights in Siem Reap is a fair amount of time -- unless you have a particular interest in the temples.

#3 Posted: 1/7/2007 - 06:18

• HansenX

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007

I agree with somtam2000... I've lived in Siem Reap for 3 months and 6 days here seems a bit much. Most people get "templed" out after 2 intense days.

#4 Posted: 1/7/2007 - 14:57

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi danallison

I also think that 6 nights in Siem Reap is a bit much - we did the 3 day pass at Angkor and I would have skipped the 3th day in retrospect, lots of very bumpy and dusty travel - in your case very muddy - to reach Banteay Srei and almost non-existant Kdai Spean waterfall(Dec). The township itself isn't that exciting unless you fancy hanging out with the other travellers in Pub St for the cheap beer and sub-standard food - although there is a great Indian restaurant called Indian Gate down a lane off Pub St - sadly underpatronised; we ate there twice in 4 days. I'd spend an extra few nights in PP (there are some fantastic Khmer restaurants in PP - Lemongrass is one)

Travel well

Marian

#5 Posted: 1/7/2007 - 16:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thre weeks in Krabi area - July and August 2007 ... By therese on 16 Aug 2007 0 4375 16 Aug 2007