Southeast Asia forum

most romantic place in thailand?

• meacham

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2013

looking for the most romantic place in thailand to ask my girl the big question! where do u think would be a nice place to pop the question??

#1 Posted: 14/4/2013 - 15:28

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

A lot of people have a different definition of romantic. So there's some variables. But let's step back here:

I've been married two times. My advice: Don't do it. Marriage is a business contract. Nobody admits that. But that's what it is and all it is. You can be in love, be married, have a family... and you don't need to be married to do it. It offers a few advantages in taxes, but everything else it does you can do with a power of attorney without the associated financial risk should the contract disolve. This is the advice I give my son.

Now, if you insist on putting yourself at financial risk because you are an incurable romantic, then most people like romantic beach locations. I'm not most people and I don't like the beach, so I can't help there. Others here can.

I would recommend Khong Chiam. This place is really nice, really romantic, and really expensive:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/11331_info_tohsang-khongjiam-resort.html

#2 Posted: 15/4/2013 - 01:02

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Wrong forum, Mac - he didn't ask for relationship advice!!! Give the poor guy a break and let him enjoy the giddy stage of young love in peace.

Meacham - it depends on your idea of romantic. Is it a sunset on an island? Over a candlelit dinner? On a longtail boat as you enjoying snorkelling around a blue lagoon? After experiencing the joint success of climbing some peak with an amazing view? And what's your budget? Are you aiming for an upmarket luxury resort scene? Or just a quiet moment on an abandoned beach somewhere>

I can't offer a suggestion of a specific location - I wasn't in 'romantic' mode during my travels there. However, rather than focus on a place, my advice would be to just wait for the right moment. Sometimes if you overplan it, it can be too contrived - and not quite the romantic interlude that you anticipated.

(I have been wracking my brain trying to come up the location that would be most suitable based on my experiences so far - and it's not Thailand, but Fiji!)

#3 Posted: 15/4/2013 - 03:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Wrong forum, Mac - he didn't ask for relationship advice!!! Give the poor guy a break and let him enjoy the giddy stage of young love in peace."

Liz, I'm just sayin', I'm just sayin' when I see someone about to walk off a cliff I warn them they're about to walk off a cliff. That's all I'm syin' here.

#4 Posted: 15/4/2013 - 06:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"(I have been wracking my brain trying to come up the location that would be most suitable based on my experiences so far - and it's not Thailand, but Fiji!)"

Well if we're not restricted to Thailand, then no question, Tiwi beach near Mombassa Kenya. I'm not a beach guy, but that place a fantastic. I had a spacious bungalow for 10 bucks a night sitting right on a cliff overlooking the ocean. Magnificent view and the beach itself was pristine, with warm water and maybe 50 people stretched out over three kilometers of white sand. Evenings you could listen to the surf break against the cliffside.

#5 Posted: 15/4/2013 - 06:47

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

For the record Madmac your views on marriage aren't entirely accurate depending on where you live. In many places common law spouses(living together without being married) have the same financial and other benefits as if they were married once they have been together for a certain length of time.

I can't really comment on where to make the proposal though as I didn't really consider Thailand to be that romantic of a place although travelling cheap and kind of on the backpacker trail would probably have contributed to that.

#6 Posted: 15/4/2013 - 10:09

• meacham

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2013

lmao at mad mac

#7 Posted: 15/4/2013 - 12:10

• meacham

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2013

thanks lizzy

#8 Posted: 15/4/2013 - 12:12

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Meacham
    Good luck man. You'll need it. Let us know what you finally decide to go with.

Greer
    And people wonder how men get jaded on this subject. You have a good point there. It's best to get a different girl every year. Alas, I have kids so my options are limited since I am very attached to my kids.

#9 Posted: 15/4/2013 - 13:37

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I'll agree with the mad fella on one thing - the proposal location - very nice place.

#10 Posted: 15/4/2013 - 19:52

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I can't suggest a specific place in Thailand as I wouldn't rank anywhere I've been there as romantic, but as lizzy says, it depends on your idea of romantic. And your girlfriend's! Personally, I would have been more chuffed if my boyfriend had proposed to me on top of Mt Kinabalu at 5am, freezing cold, than at a 5 star restaurant over a bottle of champagne, for example. Although a cosy restaurant on the beach would have done well too... What I'm saying is, somewhere unusual and / or personal to the two of you, rather than stereotypically 'romantic' might be more appreciated, and I'm sure there are lots of potential options in Thailand, I'm just not familiar with them.

#11 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 00:25

• renukapanth

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2013

Five very romantic places in Thailand for honeymoon are as following.
    The Sarojin (Khao Lak), Amari Coral Beach Phuket, Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai.

#12 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 00:57

• mytravelo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013
    Location India

Thailand is a dream destination if you're planning a honeymoon or just want a romantic getaway in an exotic location. Most people who honeymoon in Thailand still choose to head to the beaches, and there certainly are some amazing ones here.

#13 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 04:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Five very romantic places in Thailand for honeymoon are as following."

Jesus the poor kid isn't even married yet and you're already lining up honeymoon destinations for him.

#14 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 05:03

• meacham

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2013

madmac ur a funny guy lmao

#15 Posted: 19/4/2013 - 13:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I have my moments.

#16 Posted: 20/4/2013 - 04:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.