Southeast Asia forum

Southeast Asia Questions

• dspudwill

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2013

Hi everybody.
    Me and three others are planning a trip to Southeast Asia. We are deciding on where we should go and our biggest issues is we can't decide how long it takes to get everywhere. We are thinking we want to take the bus most places and we have heard it takes a long time, but nothing much more specific than that. We have a weak itinerary that we have made up but we are not sure if we have packed to much into the time we have or maybe not enough. Our trip is going to last exactly three weeks.
    Our itinerary is as follows (as of now):
    Da Nang Vietnam (arrival)

Hoi An Vietnam

Nha Trang Vietnam

Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam

Phnom Phenh Cambodia

Siem Reap Cambodia

Tha Khaek Laos

Return to Da Nang (departure)

We are also tentative on how long to stay at each place which really all comes back to how long we are traveling between destinations. If anybody could give us some pointers or at least point us in the right direction to solve our issue it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#1 Posted: 28/4/2013 - 21:21

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It's a long way from Siem Reap to Tha Khek. I would think that would take you 18 hours or so given border crossings and bus changes. Maybe a less if connections were good. From Tha Khek I would think you'd have to return to Savanakhet before heing to Hue in order to go back to Danang. Your talking another long bus ride, so you'll probably want to break it up at Hue.

Da Nang, Hoi An, Nha Trang, Saigon all work out pretty smoothly and logically. I'd be tempted to fly Saigon to PP because I despise buses, but it's a doable bus ride.

Remmember that every time you transfer locations, you eat most of a day, leaving you the evening for that 24 hour segment. Checking out of the hotel, getting to the bus station, waiting for the bus, riding the bus (the horrible part), getting to the new hotel, checking in... it east more time than you might assume. So a good planning rule of thumb is count that transfer day as lost.

In your case this means 9-10 days lost in movement (you should still have the evenings) out of a total of 21. Or just under half. The more you move around, the less time you have to see or do things. Just the way it is. Movement here is slow and it sucks unless you have your own transportation - and even then it sucks sometimes. That's why a lot of people prefer to go to fewer places and spend more time at each location. If I'm not riding my motorcycle, I don't like to spend less than a week at any one location.

#2 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 01:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Southeast Asia Questions ... By dspudwill on 28 Apr 2013 6 1511 29 Apr 2013