Southeast Asia forum

Trip duration disagreement. Help!

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

So the Mrs and I have been planning a RTW trip for some time and we're looking to leave in December this year. The problem is we cannot agree on a duration - I favour 12 over her 6 month choice.

How do we reconcile this position?? Help!

We have a flat in London that we would rent out and a year would be the ideal duration to do this rather than 6 months due to finding tenants etc.

I also don't want to rush the trip and feel like 6 months would not allow us to fit in as much of a relaxing time.

The problem is the mrs has started a new career after studying the last few years and by the end of this year she would have done 18 months in her new job which is going really well. I don't want to drag her away from a great thing but feel now we're in our early 30s it's now or never time for our trip - would much prefer to di this whilst we're still relatively young and youthful ! Hehe

So basically how do I convince her to come away for 12 months? Could I stay away for 12 and her 6 - I don't know

Help!

#1 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 05:47

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Keep your options open. Rent the house out for a year - and hit the road. If you find that you're enjoying the excitement, pleasures and challenges of being on the road (and you're still talking to each other after being together 24/7) then carry on for as long as you continue to enjoy it.

If, after 6 months, you decide you've had enough, come home early. If you had to, you could rent a smaller flat until you were able to move back into your home. Also, in NZ, if a tenant is on a fixed term rental, it IS possible to break the fixed term IF the owner is planning on moving back into the house. Maybe the same rules apply in London?

Or, rent your place out for 6 months, but let them know that there is a chance of extending for another 6 months, but that this will be confirmed in a month or two before the intial rental period expires.

Alternatively, compromise and aim for 9 months. (Then it will be much easier to convince her to stay on for 'just another 3 months'.

I'm a believer in keeping your options open. Don't book a return ticket - and may other tickets or accommodation. Get your one-way ticket to where you want to go first, and have your first month planned out. Have the next 2-4 months roughly sketched out but always allow yourself the ability to change your plans. When you're travelling for a longer period of time, you are far more likely to change you mind about where you want to go, or how long you want to stay. Feeling tired and burned out? Stay another week. Can't stand the noise/traffic/weather? Move on a few days early. Met some people who invited you to join them on an unplanned adventure to somewhere interesting? Go for it! That's the beauty of not having fixed plans.

Good luck!

#2 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 06:31

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I agree with busylizzy's first suggestion: rent the flat for a year and play it by ear. The worst that can happen is that you end up renting somewhere else for a while if you get back before the year is up. Leaving lives in the UK is a big step and takes time (it took us far longer than we anticipated to pack up our flat - be prepared!) so you might as well make it count! We left to go travelling for 3 or 4 months and then live somewhere for a year...7 months of travelling and 3 years in Hanoi later...Plans change! And a year really isn't that long in the working world - will 6 months vs 12 months really make a difference to her long term career?

#3 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 07:15

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

Good advice - much appreciated. Thank you !!

The only thing was that we were looking at booking a RTW flight as it looks more cost effective to fit in the south pacific this way.

Also I know this has been discussed to death On here and other forums but I still don't feel 100% confident about the onward travel issue/possible hassle

that is a good point about 6 months being not much different to 12 - I hope I can use that to advantage!
    Also her job is very stressful and full on that the year off would do wonders but still can't seem to convince!

Btw we have been together 11 years and travelled a lot together so am hopeful we shouldn't have any major problems getting along on the road

#4 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 07:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Trip Duration and Budget ... By deltas1982 on 9 Oct 2013 3 728 10 Oct 2013