Southeast Asia forum

Stupid question....but Nightwear for Southeast Asia?!

• doidgeandpl-
    each

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2013

Going July/Aug
    will it be hot? cold? humid? do I have to cover up just in case?
    full pjamas?
    or can I get away with shorts and camisole?
    might sound like a silly question....

#1 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 07:31

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi,

the weather in july and august depends on specifically where you are going. here is a link to the animated thai weather map to give you some general parameters for the weather in thailand during those months: http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

it also depends on the contrast to what you are used to back home and whether you are sleeping in fan or a/c rooms.

most folks i know who bother to wear anything wear a loose pair of shorts and a t-shirt. a silk sleep sack is nice to have as an extra layer if you get cold for whatever reason and also doubles as a protective layer for those cheap rooms with not-so-fresh sheets. i hope that helps. cheers.

#2 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 10:16

• doidgeandpl-
    each

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2013

yeah it helps a lot, thanks!

#3 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 04:48

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

It will be generally very warm and humid, night and day, wherever you are in SE Asia during these months, unless you are spending time at altitude.

For mosquito deterring purposes, it is advisable to wear long sleeves and trousers at night, although this might not always be possible. I would recommend bringing a couple of pairs of light trousers and long-sleeved t-shirts, and wear them at night whenever you can. The most likely time you will need them to keep warm is on long bus journeys when the AC is on full blast for hours. You could spend the whole time in t-shirt and shorts if you wanted to, but this will increase the likelihood of mosquitoes feasting on your tasty western (I'm presuming here) blood.

#4 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 05:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Good advice from Jai Yen here. I live here, and I almost always wear long pants and shoes to protect against vermin and mosquitos and the like.

#5 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 07:53

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

definitely good advice for between sunset and going to sleep, but i think the question was what to wear while sleeping.

#6 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 08:32

• boaby

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2011

Hi

July and August are officially wet months but don't despair you may only get rain during the night or most likley a downpour in the afternnon for anything upto an hour. its still warm just be carefull for mosquitoes,plenty of lotion/spray and you should be fine

boaby

#7 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 09:06

• boaby

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2011

Hi

July and August are officially wet months but don't despair you may only get rain during the night or most likley a downpour in the afternnon for anything upto an hour. its still warm just be carefull for mosquitoes,plenty of lotion/spray and you should be fine

boaby

#8 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 09:07

• doidgeandpl-
    each

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2013

haha yes the question was whilst sleeping, although any advice is great, I probably wouldn't have thought to pack anything to combat a constant battering from A/C.
    exacto- I have actually bought a silk sleeping bag liner, although I wont be taking a sleeping bag with me (apparently you take it with you then never use it). Everyone I've spoken to so far has said they're handy to have around, especially due to the temperature/humidity.
    MADMAC/JaiYen88/boaby- thanks for the advice, ill bear it in mind when it comes to packing!

#9 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 09:17

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

Hehe, by night wear I assumed you meant evening wear... Personally I sleep the same way travelling as I do at home ie. not wearing much! Bedding is provided everywhere but it's a good idea to have a tropical sleeping bag because the covers are usually quite thick duvets. As long as you don't have the AC blasting on full all night you're not gonna have to worry about being cold. Also, sleeping without AC and just with a fan has a few benefits - you will never be too cold, you will get used to the heat more quickly because you won't be constantly having to adjust from artificially cold temperatures, and finally a fan can prevent mosquitoes from landing on you!

#10 Posted: 4/5/2013 - 13:19

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Don't need to wear anything when you are sleeping unless staying in dorm rooms in which case would recommend something to keep covered up for obvious reasons. Most girls in mixed dorms usually wore shorts and camisole/t-shirt to bed.

The sleeping bag sheet is a great thing to have. It is all you will need in most locations and does enough to keep breeze from fan off you while keeping you cool enough to sleep. Also if you are travelling cheap the odd place might have questionable bedding so nice to have in cases like that as well.

#11 Posted: 4/5/2013 - 13:42

• google_prin-
    cess

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2013

nice information and cool
    nightwear

#12 Posted: 18/8/2013 - 12:24

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

I sleep nude or with boxer shorts. Mozzies are only an issue if you don't stay in a properly secured room.

#13 Posted: 18/8/2013 - 17:52

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Sleep with a fan on you and you won't get trouble from mozzies.
    In Vietnam and Cambodia a lot of women seem to spend all day in pyjamas. It's quite funny to see a middle-aged woman in some which are covered in pictures of cute teddy bears.

#14 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 11:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Sorry stupid question but essential for a ginger! ... By thegingerbird on 5 May 2008 2 1349 6 May 2008