Southeast Asia forum

volunteering in southeast asia/thailand?

• hobo

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2013

hi all
    currently in the early stages of planning my trip, looking at between 6 - 12 months maybe longer, done a lot of research on various sites about cost, visa etc... hoping to have about enough in savings by end of this year to fund the adventure :)
    anyway the only real thing i cant find much info on is volunteering, and i mean genuine volunteering not this £1500 for two weeks touristeering thing, suspect many of them are scams but maybe that's me being suspicious... i don't have any special skills nor degrees but would be willing to put the work in as needed, with the main aim to help out somewhere, meet the locals, do some networking for other projects and fill some of my time...
    any advice or pointers would be appreciated, thanks.

#1 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 12:25

• Advertisement

• PaulFarrugia

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2013

Hi hobo!

Check out our site www.globalhelpswap.com it has many free and low cost volunteering opportunities all around the world. It is free to join as we work like couchsurfing where if you donate you will get a verified profile.

Good luck and happy travelling!

Paul

#2 Posted: 21/5/2013 - 10:06

• Xircal

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2012

Hi hobo,

Have a look at this volunteer opportunity and decide whether it appeals to you or not.
    http://www.rsmall.net/pc/Pattaya_Orphanage.htm

But be aware that in order to work as a volunteer in Thailand you need a work permit even if you're not getting paid. To get one of those, you first of all have to obtain a non-immigrant 'B' (business) visa. See this link for more details: http://www.thaivisa.com/462-0.html

#3 Posted: 22/5/2013 - 08:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Why Thailand is Still the Best Southeast Asia Destination ... By exacto on 19 Jul 2014 14 2142 24 Jul 2014
SIM card for Thailand and Southeast Asia? ... By TheNewGuy8 on 28 Sep 2010 12 21815 19 Feb 2012
First Time to Southeast Asia: Thailand and Laos or just Thailand? ... By jcro on 6 Dec 2013 8 1568 2 Sep 2014
Staying fit and in shape after thailand/southeast asia? ... By lola899 on 1 Jun 2011 5 5236 11 Dec 2012
SouthEast Asia : Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam Tour Suggestions ... By jexplore on 10 Mar 2013 9 4942 14 Nov 2013