Southeast Asia forum

One way ticket to Bangkok ..help needed

• HPTravels

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2013

Hi,

Wonder if you can help me out here. I have a one way ticket to Bangkok, arrive June. I hold a uk passport. Don't have the visa for Thailand and hoped to get on arrival, read that you need Proof of onward travel, so what is best thing to do. as my plan was to travel overland by train and bus to chang mai, vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. how do I get visas for this place, eventually after this travel, I want to leave to go Beijing. Which I'm applying for visa before I go.

Should I obtain a Thai visa and Cambodian, Vietnam, Laos vis prior to getting there?

I need to know how best to do this, any help will be much appreciated as well as ideas on how to travel best to the destinations mentioned and whether I should skip any. I have about 2-3 months to do this and am travelling solo.

Thanks for any help given.

#1 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 18:38

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The visa-exempt entry for Thailand is intended for people with onward air tickets within 30 days. This is most likey enforced by the airline at check-in, but once you're on the flight you're good to go. Thai immigration usually just stamp you in for 30 days anyway. This is a many years old repeat travel question and the choices are basically 1) Get a tourist visa before your trip 2) Buy a cheap throw-away air ticket to a neighbouring country or 3) If they ask at check-in try explaining your itinerary and hope they let you board.

As for Laos and Cambodia, just get visa on arrival which is quick and easy. Bring $35 and $20 respectively as it's cheapest paid in USD. For Vietnam either get the visa in advance (easy to do in Laos or Cambodia) or get a pre-approved visa via an agent (google them) but only valid if you arrive to Vietnam by air.

#2 Posted: 2/5/2013 - 04:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.