Southeast Asia forum

Another itinerary question THAILAND to LAOS. Help please.

• astewart_123

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2012

Hi,

I have 2 weeks (14 nights) to travel from Bangkok to Chang Mai and then into cross over to Laos finishing in Ho Chi Minh City/Central Vietnam.

I have come up with this itinerary.

2 nights Bankok -> (Train to Chang Mai)
    3 nights Chang Mai -> (Bus to Luang Prabang , Laos)
    3 nights Luang Prabang -> (Bus to Vang Vieng )
    3 nights Vang Vieng -> (Bus to Vientiane )
    3 nights Vientiane -> (Bus to central Vietnam/Fly to HCMC)

Does anyone have any suggestions? What do you think if the amount of time in each spot? Will I have trouble travelling from one to the other?

Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 6/5/2013 - 02:37

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Is there are reason you are going to Vientiane ? Not a whole lot there really, most people only go for a day on their way through. If flying to Vietnam it makes sense just not sure why 3 days there.

As for your travel, bus from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang is not going to work unless you plan on spending 2 days sitting on a bus. Flying is your only option that really makes sense.

Getting from central Laos into a major Vietnam region is going to take a very long bus ride and flying makes most sense for this as well whether it be HCMC, Hanoi or Danang. Vientiane to Vinh for example(closest somewhat main location) is around a 10 hour bus ride.

#2 Posted: 6/5/2013 - 03:12

• astewart_123

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2012

Hi Geer1

Not really sure why I wanted 3 nights in Vientiane.

Maybe Ill reduce that by one or two nights and add those nights onto one of the other destinations.

The reason I chose to bus in and out of Laos was because it was cheap. Flights seem to be super expensive in and out of Laos so i'm just trying to do it all on a budget. Besides, I have found a lot of the time I actually enjoy a long bus ride, I get to the see the country side on the way something a aeroplane doesn't offer.

Any other help would be fantastic.

Thank you.

#3 Posted: 6/5/2013 - 03:56

• astewart_123

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2012

OK I have now changed the plans.

This is what I have come up with.

3 Nights Chang Mai
    2 Nights (Slowboat journey to Luang prabang, staying at Huay Xai & Pak Beng]
    3 Nights Luang Prabang
    3 Nights Vang Vieng
    2 Nights Vientiane
    1 Night (Bus journey to Hue staying at Savannekhet)

Finishing in Hue, Vietnam.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

#4 Posted: 7/5/2013 - 07:06

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I'm a little confused by the 1 Night (Bus journey to Hue staying at Savannekhet). Do you mean you'll depart from Vientiane and then take a bus to Savannekhet where you'll stay for a night before departing the next day to go onward to Hue? No need to spend too much time in Savannekhet, so that sounds fine to me.

You finish in Hue . . . meaning you will fly out of Hue after a few day? I am really miserable about the verification of this fact right now, but someone mentioned Hue or Da Nang airport being closed for 6 months around now . . . I'm sorry I can't be more specific - just a bird chirping on the wire that you may want to take a look at.

#5 Posted: 7/5/2013 - 08:04

• astewart_123

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2012

Hi Caseyprich.

Yes you're correct. I'll bus from Vientiane to Savannekhet and stay one night there. Then the next day bus to the Lao/Vietnamese boarder and cross over finishing in Hue .

My holiday then continues in Vietnam. But I have been to Vietnam before so I didn't need to ask about my plans after Hue. I have all of those sorted.

Yes it's the Hue airport which will be closed for some time. I will be travelling south after from Hue by Train/Bus, so it won't affect me.

If anyone else has any suggestions for the above itinerary please let me know.

Any help would be fantastic :)

Cheers

#6 Posted: 7/5/2013 - 08:36

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Thanks! I now know - Hue -

#7 Posted: 7/5/2013 - 09:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.