Southeast Asia forum

Sihanoukville - Beach Bars/Local Food

• liskaw123

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hi, we are going to Vietnam and Cambodia for 6 nights each and wanted a 8 night beach break at the end (28th Nov - 6th Dec) but I am really torn as to where to choose! We want somewhere with a nice beach and a good choice of local restaurants and chilled beach bars that we can sit in until late (not night clubs nor somehwere where everything closes at 11!). Would like to be able to do a couple of trips, bit of shopping, foot massages and some scuba diving. Was considering Sihanoukville/Thailand(Ao Nang/Koh Lanta/Khao Lak)? Any help you can offer to narrow my decision would be really helpful. Thanks - Oh and we are a couple in our late twenties if that helps

#1 Posted: 10/5/2013 - 15:32

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I don't like Cambodian food, so right off the bat that would make Cambodia a problem in my case. But assuming you don't have that problem, I've heard good things about Kep in Cambodia and Trat in Thailand. Best I can do as I am not a beach guy.

#2 Posted: 11/5/2013 - 13:46

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Cambodian food is a little disappointing in some places but right on the coast in Kampot, Kep, Rabbit Island and I believe Sihanoukville and Koh Rong you can get some pretty good sea food for fair prices. Don't expect anything overly fancy or amazing but you can get good fish, squid and shrimp as well as the regular chicken, beef and pork meals.

I didn't actually go to Koh Rong but it might fit your bill, someone I know ended up staying there for a month she liked it so much. Sounded similar to Rabbit Island which has a decent beach with hammocks and massages 20 feet from the ocean. Nice seafood meals and best of all everything is fairly cheap. Rabbit Island is nice too, but it is very small and doesn't have that much to do and because it doesn't have power closes down fairly early in evening.

If you want a little more luxury and or high end food then Thailand is likely the place to be but I think Cambodia has lots to offer with its options along the coast. Going to Thailand is going to cost significantly more so really your call if you think it is worth it or not.

#3 Posted: 11/5/2013 - 15:47

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

The OP wants a place with a good beach and nightlife so I doubt he'd be interested in any of the above suggestions. Firstly, the Cambodian islands have no night life though he might want to consider a trip of a couple of days for the scuba but that can be arranged on Ocheteal beach, Sihanoukville .
    Secondly, nice as they may be there isn't a beach in Kampot and the one in Kep is a drab affair.
    As far as Cambodian food is concerned Ocheteal beach has a whole array of restaurants selling everything from Indian to Russian food. In the evening, most of the beach restaurants do a seafood barbeque for $3.
    You can also go to Otres which is a better beach with lots of good food but no nightlife.
    No matter as it's easy to get a tuk-tuk or hire a motorbike for around $4 to get you there and back to Ocheteal for the beach scene which goes on late.
    Most of the nightlife consists of bars where you have a choice of chilled out or crazy.The nice thing about Ocheteal is you can sit next to the lapping tide by the light of a candle and eat and drink good food and beer which won't break the bank. I love Thailand but the beach scene is much more expensive and Sihanoukville offers everything you'd find there.

#4 Posted: 12/5/2013 - 01:04

• mibby30

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2013

You might want to check out some of the famous dishes in South East Asia:
    http://www.squidoo.com/asian-foods-that-i-enjoyed

#5 Posted: 8/8/2013 - 09:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best place for beach bars&local food-KhaoLak/KoLanta/AoNang? ... By liskaw123 on 10 May 2013 13 2244 14 May 2013
Nice hotel for honeymoon with a small child at a beach with good local food ... By ambii on 10 Mar 2011 1 1988 11 Mar 2011
Where to go to experience local food and sights ... By Magen on 1 Aug 2011 5 3041 23 Mar 2012
Local markets / food in Luang Prabang? ... By travellingtwo on 3 Sep 2008 4 2481 10 Sep 2008