Southeast Asia forum

Cambodia/Vietnam/Thailand in 3 weeks

• jonice08

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009

My wife and I are planning a holiday in Cambodia, Vietnam and possibly Thailand in February 2014. This is the third time we are planning a trip to SEA and HOPEFULLY, this time around we will actually manage to travel there!!! We already have a relatively good idea of where to go in Cambodia (4 nights) and Vietnam (9 nights), however since flights to Cambodia or Vietnam are twice as expensive than flying to Thailand, we have now decided to fly in and out of Bangkok, which will also give us an extra week in SEA. My dilemma at this stage is whether or not to spend the extra week in Thailand or to extend our time in Cambodia and Vietnam.

The general feeling that I get from reading the various posts is that 2 weeks is sufficient to see the main attractions in both Vietnam and Cambodia - though others may argue that 1 month in each country would not be sufficient!!

Another query I have is whether to use a travel agent or to book everything myself. My argument in favour of using an agent is that we could possibly make better use of the limited time we have available to see as much as possible. We also do not want to run the risk of being disappointed with our choices, especially regarding accommodation. On the other hand you obviously get to pay a premium for using the services of an agent.

I will post our planned itinerary for Cambodia and Vietnam once we decide on whether to include Thailand or not.

Our interests in order of preference are:
    1) culture and heritage;
    2) historical sites and scenary;
    3) relaxation and downtime (which includes lounging on beaches, walks, good eating and maybe a night or 2 enjoying the night life);
    4) I would also consider going on a dive (maybe Thailand would be the best place for this)

Looking forward to hearing your comments.

Regards,
    John

#1 Posted: 16/5/2013 - 04:57

• Advertisement

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

spend the extra time in either vietnam or cambodia. In 4 days you will see hardly anything of cambodia and 9 days is far too short for Vietnam. Best choose one country only although I can see the point of going to vietnam and taking in Angkor wat

#2 Posted: 21/5/2013 - 05:27

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Sorry, but that's much too much for 2 short weeks. Even using all air travel, you'd be a basket case at the end of those 2 weeks. It's difficult to even do Vietnam decently in 3 weeks. The first week of Feb in VN is Tet - not an easy time to travel (expensive too).

#3 Posted: 21/5/2013 - 12:02

• jonice08

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009

Thank you for your posts. Would you consider April to be a better time to travel to SEA? So considering we still fly in to / out from Bankgkok, do you suggest we should head straight to Vietnam and spend most of our 3 weeks there? I would like to however spend at least 5 nights in Cambodia to visit Siem Reap and Angor Wat, since I doubt we will have another opportunity to travel to SEA, before heading back to Bangkok for our outbound flight. Do you think that this could work?

Thank you once again for your posts.

Regards,
    John.

#4 Posted: 23/5/2013 - 03:04

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

Yes it would work as I suggested in my earlier reply. 3 full days is OK to see Angkor Wat and other temples.

By land it will take at least a full day to get from SR to Vietnam but you could fly direct to Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh. You might then want to prioritise and decide if you want to concentrate on either the North or South of Vietnam rather than try and cover the whole country. If you decide to concentrate on the South I would go February (personally December/ Jan would be my option) but if you are going to concentrate on the North then I would go later

#5 Posted: 23/5/2013 - 04:56

• jonice08

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009

Hi amnicoll, thank you once again for your comments!! One last question...I hope...which is you preferred area in Vietnam, north or south?

#6 Posted: 24/5/2013 - 07:11

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

There is much to recommend in both. The hills along the border with China and Laos are fantastic if you like that sort of thing +Halong Bay and hanoi v/s the mekong delta/HCMcity and perhaps up the coast and in to Dalat

Sorry but I can only suggest you have a brouse through a guidebook and reach your own decision

#7 Posted: 25/5/2013 - 05:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam in 3 weeks ... By bbluedd on 16 Jul 2013 2 761 16 Jul 2013
5 Weeks Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam??I ... By megwag90 on 24 Feb 2014 23 953 3 Mar 2014
5 weeks in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam ... By waitrya on 15 Feb 2010 3 3019 20 Feb 2010
Thailand, Vietnam & Cambodia in 3 weeks ... By squaretiger on 2 Aug 2012 4 2248 11 Aug 2012
Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand in 6 - 7 weeks ... By LynneVermont on 6 Feb 2011 2 2729 7 Feb 2011
Thailand,cambodia, vietnam in 6 weeks?? ... By macdaisy on 25 Aug 2008 2 3184 25 Aug 2008
Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand in 3 weeks? ... By elysek on 22 May 2012 4 1970 23 May 2012
3 weeks Vietnam Cambodia and Thailand ... By Liveley on 25 Dec 2012 3 2078 3 Jan 2013
5 Weeks - (Thailand) - Vietnam - Cambodia ... By nikeshbjani on 28 Jul 2013 17 1423 4 Aug 2013
6/7 weeks in thailand/cambodia & vietnam ... By chivers on 7 Oct 2009 1 2384 8 Oct 2009