Southeast Asia forum

Travelling South East Asia in September

• Eldwyer90

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2013

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about travelling SE Asia around the monsoon season. I want to try and draw up an itinerary to avoid it as much as possible. I'm currently teaching in South Korea and my contract is up mid September. I've done some research and found that Malaysia looks ok to travel in September. I was thinking of starting there however I can't work out what country to move on to next in October. I want to visit Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. Has anyone visited these countries in October? If so how did you find it and what was the weather like? I can travel up until late December so really I just need to find a country to visit in October whilst the rainy season generally passes. I believe November is a great month to travel any of these countries.

Thank you for your help.

Eleanor

#1 Posted: 23/5/2013 - 20:05

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

In general the east coast is drier in September, i.e. east coast peninsular Malaysia (Perhentian Islands, etc.) and the lower Gulf of Thailand (Ko Samui/Phangan/Tao) but when you get into October the SW/NE monsoons usually change over and during this transitional period weather gets very fickle and unpredictable. Then November the east coast gets rainy and it's better to go west. I wouldn't obsess too much about rain - it's the tropics and rains are usually late afternoon and last an hour or so.

#2 Posted: 24/5/2013 - 00:17

• brandonjame-
    s123

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2013

Hi there !

I'm currently in the same situation as yourself as I will be backpacking around SEA as of the 16th of September for around about 4 to 6 months depending on money and company

so far my itinerary is not 100% but I have rough Idea of the best route through SEA :

I'm flying in the Ho chi Min city (Vietnam) then travelling all the way up the coast to the top of Vietnam from there I will head over to Laos then to Cambodia from Cambodia to Thailand and from Thailand to India then to Tokyo

From what Iv'e heard between September to December is the best time of the year to travel SEA although you cant be 100% certain on the weather it is generally a really nice time to travel even if it is there wet season

#3 Posted: 12/6/2013 - 00:50

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

brandonjames - SEA is a very large area and not surprisingly the weather varies quite considerably. If you take Cambodia, the southern halves of Laos and vietnam and Thailand then I would say Mid November through to March is the best time but the northern border areas of Laos and Vietnam can be cold and the SouthEastern side of thailand and NE mainland Malaysia will still have the monsoons until early Jan which could affect transport to some islands

There are plenty of weather maps around and although you will never avoid the rain you can plan sensibly

#4 Posted: 12/6/2013 - 05:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travelling South East Asia in August, September and start of October ... By bryliesmiley on 6 Mar 2012 0 2731 6 Mar 2012
South East Asia - September until Christmas - any advice please? ... By tom080181 on 18 Mar 2013 2 1330 20 Mar 2013
Travelling South East Asia with a 4mth old Baby? ... By Violett23 on 17 Jan 2010 2 4122 19 Apr 2010
Travelling south east asia July 2013 (Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia) ... By michelled on 9 Jun 2013 3 979 10 Jun 2013
irish girl living in london travelling South East Asia Jan- April 2011 ... By soloirish on 26 Jul 2010 18 4805 18 Feb 2011
A destination in east/SE Asia for 2-weeks september/october ... By moonsahde777 on 3 Aug 2011 0 3111 3 Aug 2011
South East Asia - Dec & Jan ... By Greatlookinguy on 3 Nov 2012 5 1190 11 Nov 2012
YOGA IN SOUTH EAST ASIA! ... By Rashida on 7 Aug 2013 5 1301 18 Sep 2013
Working in South East Asia ... By sarah7196 on 14 Apr 2011 12 3478 15 Apr 2011
Video: The best of South East Asia ... By BUDHAdventures on 27 Jul 2013 3 1035 11 Aug 2013