Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary Advice - Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam

• jella82

Joined Travelfish
    20th June, 2007

I have done a bit more research and below is our itinerary. We are into trekking, national parks, beaches, temples, history. We want to see the local culture not just the touristy bits. Any suggestions of where to spend extra time, must sees that I’ve left out or where to avoid would be great. We would also like to get some clothes made, is Hoi An the best place? We’re arriving in Singapore 22nd Sept, leaving Singapore 19th Dec.

1 wk
    Singapore – KL (Fly to Bangkok)

Thailand 1 – 2 wks (Oct)
    Bangkok - Ayutthaya - Chiang Mai (trekking & cooking school) - Chiang Khong - Huay Xai. Would 1 wk be sufficient to do this? Would it be better to try and fly from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang – is this even possible?

Laos 2 (if flying to LP) – 2 ½ wks (if not flying to LP) October
    Huay Xai - Luang Prabang (elephant trek, waterfalls) - Vang Vieng - Vientiane -ThaKhaek (1) - Savannakhet (1)- Champasak - 4000 Islands Don Khong & Don Dhet

Cambodia 2 weeks – we will be here end October will it still be wet? Are we trying to fit in too much for 2 wks?
    Kratie - Phnom Penh – Kep - Ko Tonsang – Kompat– PP – Siem Reap (Angkor) - Battambang – PP

Vietnam (3 wks) November
    PP -> Saigon – Mekong - Mui Ne or Dalat ?? - Nha Trang - Hoi An - Hue - Hanoi - Ha Long Bay

Fly from Hanoi to Bangkok. (December) 2 ½ wks to get from Bangkok to Singapore looking to spend 1 week on Ko Sokurn maybe (We are looking for a quiet, relaxing wk (snorkeling, sunbathing, nice walks) before we head home, is this a good choice? I have also heard about the perthinan islands off Malaysia – would these be a good alternative?

Also re visas, is it a good idea to get all visas sorted in Singapore or Bangkok? Re Thai visa we are going to be in Thailand for 2 wks at start of trip and 2 wks at end of trip which is longer than 2mth visa, any suggestions on how to get around this? Doubt we will be flying from Thailand at any stage unless maybe Chiang Mai so not sure about the 30 day one?!

Think that’s it..Thanx, this is a brill site/resource!

#1 Posted: 3/7/2007 - 07:29

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi jella82,

Glad to hear you like the site!

Thailand
    1) Yes you can fly from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang, so if you don't mind missing the oat trip, flying is the way to go.

2) You'd be flay out fitting all that into one week. A trek is generally at least two nights, then a day for the cooking course, a night in Ayutthaya and a night in Chiang khong and two nights in Bangkok. that leaves you no time for sightseeing in Chiang Mai -- I'd add a few days if possible. See Exacto's Chiang Mai trip report for oodles of info on what to do in CM.

Laos
    Yup you could fit all that into two and a half weeks -- just. Though if you really like Si Phan Don, you can always scrape a few days out of your cambodia section. Don't forget the going is slow in laos. With a bit more time I'd suggest 2-3 nights in Tha Khaek so you can visit the Kong Lo caves.

Cambodia
    I'd say too much in two weeks and would suggest dropping one place or adding another 3-4 days. While you could cover all the places you say, you'd be on the move every other day -- not much fun!

Vietnam
    Look at going from Phnom Penh to Saigon via the Delta -- save time and reduces backtracking. Eg boat from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc, then bus to Can Tho, do your boat trips there, then bus to My Tho/Saigon.

You're already got a pretty high beach quotient in your trip, so I'd say skip Mui Ne for Da Lat. Hoi An is indeed great for clothes.

Back to thailand
    Ko Sukorn is great, though note the beaches there are black sand -- nothing wrong with that, just a little hot on the feet!

Visas
    Bangkok is a great clearing house for visas, but you can also get them on the way -- eg Lao visa on arrival, Cambodian visa in Vientiane, Vietnamese visa in Phnom Penh (or Sihanoukville). Re the 30 day entry thing, the situation is a little unclear, but given you've got a ticket out of Sg, I think you'd be fine with two 30-day visa free stays -- though I'd suggest checking with your local Thai consulate.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 3/7/2007 - 09:35

• jella82

Joined Travelfish
    20th June, 2007

Thanks a million for the advice somtam, really helpful..

#3 Posted: 10/7/2007 - 06:42

• spectacular-

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2011

can i ask what hotels u checked in during ur travel..

#4 Posted: 10/3/2011 - 16:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary advice - Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Singapore ... By ToniandCraig on 2 Mar 2013 5 1724 6 Mar 2013
Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore and Laos in a month ... By blackskin on 26 Aug 2008 2 6340 2 Sep 2008
32 yo m from singapore travelling China-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Myanmar-Thailand-Malaysia ... By charltonsz on 26 Dec 2010 3 2080 26 Dec 2010
Itinerary Advice please!!! Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia ... By seanstenning on 8 Jul 2007 6 3718 10 Jul 2007
Itinerary advice - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam ... By Tiga74 on 15 Apr 2013 17 3096 27 May 2013
Another Itinerary Advice Request/Help - Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos/Thailand ... By naikman on 16 Oct 2012 0 1226 16 Oct 2012
Itinerary 1 Month - Backpacking Through Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam... Advice Needed :) ... By reneejordan on 5 Nov 2010 8 18810 6 Mar 2011
Itinerary Advice - Thailand, Laos and Malaysia ... By plew10 on 1 Apr 2012 3 1371 1 Apr 2012
26yo f vietnam,laos,cambodia, malaysia, singapore July-August ... By mecarpenter83 on 14 Jun 2010 6 2744 30 Jun 2010
April 28-May 13 Traveling to thailand, CAmbodia, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore - 27m from Canada ... By abet_rocks on 4 Apr 2012 10 1339 28 Feb 2013