Southeast Asia forum

North Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia in about 35 days. In doubt about route.

• travelgravel

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2013

Hello,

I'm taking a trip from about the 24th of july till about the 30st of august.
    I'm, not sure what route to take to visit these countries, I'm not taking a roundtrip so i can start and stop anywhere i want to. I know that i want to see a lot in the time i got, but i know i won't be visiting this region of the world in a longtime so i want to see a good portion of it. I hope it is possible.

I want to start in Hanoi and see the city, Ha Long Bay and Nim Binh. My plan is then too travel to the North of Laos with either a plane to Luang Prabang from Hanoi (from what i heard about 150 dollars is that right?) or a busride via Sapa into Laos. Although i heard it is maybe too long and i am quite limited in my time. That's why i chose only to visit the north of Vietnam anyway. When in Laos i would like to go south via Viang Vieng to vientane. I also heard about the gibbon experience North of Luang prabang, It's not really on my route but it seems interesting and will do it if i have enough time. Im not really sure how far traveling this is though. From Vientane I want to go to siem raep now via maybe the 4000's islands but this seems like a very long journey. I could take a plane again to save some time or i could even skip the 4000 islands and go via thailand because that seems a faster route than via Laos. I haven't thought of a place to fly back from but that could be Pnom Penh, Siem Raep or Ho Chi Minh City. Offcourse along the way i will sometimes take it slowly and visit other things around. But the places I mentioned are the things i want to visit the most.

I even thought about beginning in Vientane, slowly go up to Luang Prabang then take a plane to hanoi. Travel by bus/train to Ho Chi minh City and then slowly go north again via Pnom Penh to Siem raep. The reason i am contemplating this because I have a feeling traveling is faster in Vietnam and as I am going in the summer, rains may cause to slow progress even more. Altough I think I would prefer traveling through Laos.

So what i want to ask is does anyone have any recommendations on what the best route is to see North Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia all together? And is travel really as slow as i think it from Vientane to Siem raep via Laos so i should contemplate taking the route via Thailand or take a plane(and about how much will this cost me)?

Suggestions are very welcome

Greetings, Thomas

#1 Posted: 30/5/2013 - 09:44

• Advertisement

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

going from Hanoi via Sapa to Laos is a fantastic trip but will take a few days but there are other more direct land routes routes you could consider

I am not going to look up airfares for you as I have better things to do and the prices are likely to change depending on how far in advance you book. What i would suggest is that you leave decisions on the flights and make your decision on mode of travel depending on how your time is going - they may cost a bit more but at least you will have flexibilty

#2 Posted: 31/5/2013 - 05:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
ROUTE TO VIETNAM / CAMBODIA / LOAS / NORTH THAILAND - SOUTH ... By mango551 on 11 Jan 2010 2 5137 14 Jan 2010
Best route Thailand, Laos, Cambodia 65 days ... By marianwarren on 12 Mar 2006 6 2783 13 Mar 2006
35 days BKK/camodia/vietnam/laos highlights nov-dec, whats the best route? ... By lauralenny on 5 Oct 2013 8 713 11 Oct 2013
What is the best route and best deal from Manila to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand? ... By mingkoy on 16 Feb 2009 1 2675 16 Feb 2009
Order of route through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam... how best to end the trip? ... By estelle8 on 3 Aug 2010 3 7455 15 Aug 2010
Travel route advice please! Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam / Laos ... By IndiaGabrielle on 14 Jun 2013 3 2810 15 Jun 2013
What the best route to visit Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand from Manila? ... By mingkoy on 16 Feb 2009 10 13867 29 Aug 2010
Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Malaysia- 3 1/2 months...NEED HELP With a guidline Route?????!! ... By kgroarke on 12 Feb 2011 3 5399 1 Mar 2011
North Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia. 5 weeks? ... By numberthree on 3 Apr 2011 3 3145 4 Apr 2011
3 month route through Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos - constructive criticism wanted! ... By kmc on 30 May 2011 5 5450 1 Aug 2011