Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary Advice - Thailand, Cambodia, Laos

• sandy_28

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2007

Hey Everyone,
    Would really really appreciate some advice on my itinerary. I'm leaving shortly for a 30 day trip and have come up with the following itinerary. As a side note, would also like to add that i am on the fence on wether to go to Chiang Mai for the 'tribe trekking' experience versus Northern Laos. I've heard Laos is more authentic but more rugged, while Chiang mai has more commercialized and so might be easier. Any advice on this would be appreciated. To this extent, my itinerary includes Laos and not Chiang Mai.

day 1 - bangkok
    day 2 - bangkok
    day 3 to day 9 - fly from bankgok to Ko Tao..Ko Tao/Ko Pha Ngan/Koao Sok National Part
    day 10 - fly from Ko Tao to Siem Reap
    day 11 - Siem Reap
    day 12 - Siem Reap
    day 13 - Siem Reap
    day 14 - fly to Luang Prabang
    day 15 - Luang Prabang
    day 16 - Luang Prabang
    day 17 - Vang Vienne
    day 18 - Vang Vienne
    day 19 - Vientienne
    day 20 - Vientienne
    day 21 - fly to bangkok
    day 22 - bangkok

I have an additional 5 days or so..i'd love to do a hill trek trip in laos - any recommendations? how much time should i allocate? Also, anything else to do around bangkok before i head south to the islands (need the islands to be then because of full moon). Also, should i do laos or cambodia first?
    thanks everyone!!

#1 Posted: 4/7/2007 - 03:54

• Advertisement

• zarlceiss

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2007

Hey,

We took up a 2D1N trip (with Tiger Trails, around US$55) while in Luang Prabang, and a hiking trip to the Khamu and Hmong villages was included. We also stayed a night at the Khamu village. There were maybe 5 of us in the group. The visit to the hilltribes was an eyeopener.

We stayed 5 days in Luang Prabang, and personally, I like the place more than Vientiane or Vang Vieng or anywhere else. I've never been to Chiangmai, so I can't say which is better. There are numerous travel agencies along the main street of Luang Prabang, so you definitely won't miss it. If you are looking for a similar but cheaper trip to the hilltribes, email me. If you have more time, I think going to Nong Kiaw or Muang Ngoi are excellent ideas too. Cheers.

zc

#2 Posted: 4/7/2007 - 12:22

• indravarman

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2007

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know Kata beach Phuket well enough to know what's now built on the site where the old Tropicana bungalows used to be? My daughter was born in Phuket in 1980, when we were staying at the Tropicana at Kata beach, and I am planning a return trip with her for her birthday in December this year. We stayed at the Tropicana in 1983, as well, and I was back in Kata 2006. The place has certainly changed, nothing like the jungle paradise it was back then when there were only a couple of bamboo restaurants on the beach. But I'm still hoping to locate the spot somewhere in the hill behind Club Med. If anyone knows the name of the hotel or shop now built over the old Tropicana site that would be a great help.

#3 Posted: 8/7/2007 - 20:31

• AmandaJordan

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 3

Hi sandy

We did a 3 day/ 2 night trek out of chiang mai and really enjoyed it but didn't trek in laos so not sure how it compares. Trek in chiang mai was touristy in the sense that included elephant riding and bamboo rafting but trekking through jungle was amazing and stayed with interesting hilltribe village. We booked our trek through julie's guesthouse (highly recommended).

Also on your itinerary you need to consider travel time between places. ALthough my memory is hazy I think the bus from luang prabang to vang vieng was at least 6 hours so thats kinda a day in itself and the bus to vientiane was 5 hours. Personally, although it has received a lot of negative reviews I thought vang vieng was beautiful and very relaxing. Tubing down the river was tons of fun and we also did a great kayaking/caving trip. Vientiane is a bit of a sleepy town and theres really not much to do there. We only spent one full day and it felt like plenty.

Also just a warning that certain flights don't fly everyday e.g. siem reap to luang prabang so you may have to plan around that. We flew vientiane to siem reap and that flight only runs three times a week.

Feel free to ask more questions!

#4 Posted: 9/7/2007 - 21:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand-Laos-Cambodia 8 weeks itinerary advice ... By roro1990 on 30 Aug 2013 12 1411 1 Sep 2013
Itinerary advice - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam ... By Tiga74 on 15 Apr 2013 17 3110 27 May 2013
Itinerary Advice please!!! Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia ... By seanstenning on 8 Jul 2007 6 3722 10 Jul 2007
Advice Itinerary 2 months: Thailand, Laos & Cambodia ... By andreabarbera on 22 Mar 2013 5 3009 26 Mar 2013
Itinerary advice - Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Singapore ... By ToniandCraig on 2 Mar 2013 5 1732 6 Mar 2013
Another Itinerary Advice Request/Help - Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos/Thailand ... By naikman on 16 Oct 2012 0 1228 16 Oct 2012
Itinerary for 7 week trip to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia - advice wanted ... By plawhon on 9 Nov 2007 6 5185 1 Dec 2009
Itinerary Advice - Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam ... By jella82 on 3 Jul 2007 3 9179 10 Mar 2011
Itinerary advice needed for Cambodia, laos and Thailand - any thoughts much appreciated! ... By hjbvet on 27 Oct 2010 4 3100 31 Oct 2010
Itinerary 1 Month - Backpacking Through Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam... Advice Needed :) ... By reneejordan on 5 Nov 2010 8 18841 6 Mar 2011