Southeast Asia forum

South East Asia in 4 weeks?

• Thailand2012

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

Hi everyone,

Almost a year ago i went on my first solo trip to Thailand and i really enjoyed it!

Now i'm planning to go again( planning to book my ticket amsterdam-bangkok retour 1 okt-1 nov), with a backpack instead of a heavily packed suitcase ;-) and plans to visit Ayutthaya and Chiang Mai. But now i have a ()bit more to spend and im thinking about doing a lot more than just Thailand, i would like to visit Cambodja (Angkor Wat) and Kuala Lumpur and would like to have some info about things i have to consider.

I prefer travelling by airplane, because of the reduction of traveltime and comfort.

Are there more places easy to fit in my plans and worth visiting?

Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 2/6/2013 - 15:30

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Kuala Lumpur is a little out of the way - and with the money you'd save on a ticket there and the price of accommodation in KL you could have a good time visiting more of Cambodia to get a better feel for the country. It may border Thailand, but it has its own unique culture and feel.

However, as you have only a month and will end up in Chiang Mai at first I'd have two options to suggest:

1) perhaps you would like to fly to Luang Prabang Laos for a few nights, then head south for a stop in the scenic surroundings of Vang Vieng as a way to break up the journey to Vientiane , capital of Laos. You could then catch a flight from Vientiane to Siem Reap and spend minimum 3 full days there exploring the temples. At that point - if you have any time left you have the option of catching some beach time in Ko Chang near the Thailand-Cambodia border, heading to the south coast of Cambodia for beach time, or just checking out Phnom Penh before a flight from there back to BKK.

2) just catch a flight direct from Chiang Mai to Cambodia - probably cheaper to fly into PP, but more convenient to hit Siem Reap first. Then check out all the usual highlights of Cambodia with your remaining time - probably ending in the south with first a stop in lovely Kampot/Kep before hitting some islands to end your trip with some relaxing time on the beach. A little less hectic as you can give yourself around 2 weeks general plan for northern Thailand and 2 weeks general plan for Cambodia.

#2 Posted: 2/6/2013 - 21:00

• Thailand2012

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

I've booked my ticket!!! :-D
    And my manager couldnt resist my begging so oct 1st till oct 31st it is!!!
    And a friend is joining me so thats very nice, and besides that, its convenient for sharing hotel fees etc.

Im wondering which way its the best to fly? Cant find flights from chiang mai to siem reap or pp...

Still very happy with my booking and countdown has begun, only a 100 days left1

#3 Posted: 23/6/2013 - 15:55

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Have you looked on Bangkok Airways? They have a stop in BKK on the way. Otherwise you can probably find other airlines that'll do the same thing - not a direct flight, but a short layover in BKK.

#4 Posted: 23/6/2013 - 21:06

• Thailand2012

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

Thank you so much caseyprich, your replies are so helpfull!

Bangkok Airways even offers multi trips, thats very convenient!

I would like to ask you the following: imagine 2 women, used to luxurious stays not the hostels type and they want to see the main highlights of Cambodia and Vietnam, after a short trekking in Chiang Mai and end their stay with beach and (half/full) moon party and final shopping in BKK. What would you recommend? What is the way to go?

Thanks in advance!

#5 Posted: 24/6/2013 - 14:54

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Luang Prabang is one of the most beautiful places in Asia (that I have found, so far). Great hotels of all prices, excellent food at all prices (I love the pizza at Scandinavian Bakery), fun places to go (great waterfalls) and bike. I would check it out if I were you.

#6 Posted: 24/6/2013 - 22:31

• Thailand2012

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

Leaving in 7nights!
    Excitement is kicking in!

Going alone after all, friend isnt going anymore!

For the first two nights covered in a hotel near KSR, meet awesome people, eat the streetfood etc!

Got plans on Koh Chang, what is the best way to go from there considering my wishes to see tempels in Cambodia and northern part of Thailand and perhaps some beachtime to end near BKK.

Love to hear your recommendation as the replica are very helpfull! :-)

Want waittt!

#7 Posted: 23/9/2013 - 17:26

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Are you going from BKK directly to Koh Chang first? If so, you'll be close to Cambodia and could cross overland to stop in Siem Reap and Battambang for some temples. If you do that, your best bet is going to be flying up to Chiang Mai and then working your way back down (you can see some more temples on the way between Chiang Mai and BKK if you want to do it overland).

#8 Posted: 23/9/2013 - 21:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 weeks in south east asia ... By raquelmiddl13 on 16 Nov 2013 18 1252 26 Nov 2013
3 Weeks in South East Asia ... By Tumper on 2 Mar 2010 1 6024 2 Mar 2010
Advice 4 weeks in South East Asia ... By system243trd on 30 Sep 2013 8 1049 30 Sep 2013
Five weeks honeymoon in South East Asia, Is this too much? ... By ondoheer on 20 Sep 2014 25 1296 8 Oct 2014
Honeymoon in South East Asia - 3 weeks ... By Polaris1976 on 4 Jun 2013 21 3282 15 Jun 2013
South east asia, 6 weeks – Thailand, Laos Cambodia ... By kayjaydesign on 13 Aug 2013 2 1165 14 Aug 2013
6-8 weeks in South East Asia - Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand ... By mjbeavis on 13 Sep 2010 7 7564 25 Mar 2013
First time in South East Asia, itinerary for 3 weeks! Any advice greatly appreciated! ... By Pixa2012 on 14 Jan 2012 7 15715 12 Feb 2012
South East Asia - Dec & Jan ... By Greatlookinguy on 3 Nov 2012 5 1413 11 Nov 2012
South East Asia-going alone?? ... By bbtomlin on 29 Aug 2014 6 1009 26 Sep 2014