Southeast Asia forum

25 days in SE Asia - Is this crazy?

• carlally

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2013

Hello
    This is my first time in SEA but hopefully not my last. Myaim is to get a good overview of the 3 countries – Vietnam, Cambodia andThailand. I have just over 3 weeks in Asia and just over 3 weeks in Australia. Buthere I’m just looking at my Asia itinerary. Is the following too manic? I’marriving 06 Nov – flying to Sydney 2nd Dec

06 Nov Arrive BKK, fly straight to Hanoi
    06 Nov Hanoi
    07 Nov Hanoi
    08 & 09 Halong Baycruise
    10 Nov Hanoi
    11 Nov fly to Da Nang for 1 night or possibly go straight toHoi ann??
    12 & 13 Hoi An
    14 fly/train/bus to Ho Chi Minh – advice needed here
    14 ,15,16 Ho Chi Minh
    17 Fly to Phnom Penh
    17 Phnom Penh
    18 Spend day in Phnom Penh, overnight bus to Siem reap
    19,20,21 Siem Reap
    22 Fly to Chiang Mai via BKK – is there a better way to dothis journey??
    22 guesthouse in Chiang Mai
    23 & 24 trekking in Chiang Mai
    25 Cookery class in Chiang Mai
    26 Fly to Koh Samui
    27 Koh Samui
    28,29 Koh Tho
    30 Phuket (as need to fly from here to BKK)
    1 Dec BKK
    2 Dec Fly BKK to Syd

So that is the rough plan at the moment, we will book theflights from BKK to Hanoi and Phnom Penh before we depart, so we will see howwe go between these dates, we may want to linger or spend less time at somestops.

We are energetic in late 20s but would like to enjoy ourtime rather than rush too.
    Any seasoned travellers that can offer advice?

Thanks,
    Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

#1 Posted: 5/6/2013 - 09:14

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

The first thing I do when I see an itinerary like this is to count the number of places and divide it by the number of days in the region.

I make it 10/11 in 25 days - before you account for lost time spent travelling (which will be a lot in this case) that is just over two days per location on average. IMO that is not enough time whatsoever.

Why not spend 25 days in Thailand and see it properly? Or if you must do a side trip to Luang Prabang or Angkor Temples. But this...no way, not for me. Far, far too much rushing.

For example, from 22-24 November, in those three days you need to get from Siem Reap-Chiang Mai, organise a trek and then do two days of trekking.

I've seen crazier itineraries for sure, but I still wouldn't do this one.

Rule of thumb if you want advice on here is that 3-4 weeks would be the minimum time for one particular country.

Best of luck either way!

#2 Posted: 5/6/2013 - 09:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Is this crazy - Vientiane to Don Det in 4 days via Kong Lo and Champasek ... By genya on 6 Aug 2014 0 147 6 Aug 2014
Vietnam/SE Asia Itinerary--Are we crazy or smart? ... By tgeorge1792 on 25 Apr 2012 7 2286 26 Apr 2012
First-time backpackers, planning on spending 18months in SE Asia... Crazy? ... By swampgum on 11 Jul 2011 29 5361 14 Jul 2011