Southeast Asia forum

8 month itinerary help

• SamG

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2011

Hey Guys,

So me and my girlfriend will be going back to southeast asia, me for the 3rd time and her for the second. On our last trip we spent 2.5months in the Philippines, cambodia, laos, and malaysian borneo.

This time, we are going to be spending 8 months starting this december, and we are thinking of doing it as follows(in this order):
    -Philippines for 6 weeks
    - India for 2 months(might dip into nepal for a few weeks)
    -Burma/myanmar for the visa allowed 21 days
    -Thailand for 3 weeks
    -Laos for 4 weeks
    -Cambodia for 4 weeks
    -Vietnam for 3 weeks

We realize that our trip to india will be costly and out of the way(flight wise) but feel that its better to avoid spending the Hot/Monsoon season in india.

Me and my girlfriend are not much for partying/drinking, and enjoy traveling slowly over land.
    So, a few things:

1) Does this itinerary make sense in the order that its in.
    2) Does anybody have suggestions about places to visit/must see's that are off of the beaten track
    3) Does anybody know of any reputable volunteering organizations in any of these countries
    4) What is a reasonable amount of money to be spending? We generally stay in cheap, but private rooms(15-20usd a night in cambodia/laos). We dont mind splurging on special activities and prefer traveling slowly/flying as little as possible. We are thinking to have 10k CAd in the bank account each(after flights), for a total of 20,000, but will also have an extra 12,000 each in reserve(that we would rather not spend on this trip).

Any other thoughts and comments are welcome!

Thanks all!

#1 Posted: 9/6/2013 - 00:39

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi SamG,

Eight months on the road sounds great. Good for you.

Your general direction and route of travel seems fine and makes sense to me. I like that you haven't planned too specifically on what to do but rather just where you'll be for an amount of time. On long trips like that, it is nice to have flexibility to follow whatever looks good at the moment.

The only real suggestion I have it to make sure you have your visa strategy worked out in advance. For example, I've never been to the Philippines. Do you know if you get a visa exemption on arrival or if you need to apply for a visa? How long is it valid? Coming back into Thailand from Burma, you'll only get 15 days arriving by land (not enough for your plans) but 30 days by air. Are you planning to fly into Thailand from Burma then? Laos and Cambodia you should be able to get at the border (you may need to have US dollars for that so check ahead if true and how much). I think you will still need a Vietnam visa in advance and they are only valid for so long after issues, so you may need to pick that up on the road. Can you do that in Cambodia? That would work well.

You've got a nice long time in Laos. There are several nice stops in southern Laos as you make your way down to Cambodia. I particularly enjoyed Champasak and Wat Phu, just south of Pakse. With that kind of time to spend, the Bolevans Plateau and Si Phan Don (4000 Islands) are also worth a few days.

Have a wonderful time. Sounds like a great trip. Regards.

#2 Posted: 10/6/2013 - 08:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.