Southeast Asia forum

martial arts

• stu6742

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2013

I'm look for advice and insights on studying martial arts in Asia. I plan to come to Asia in Sept (preferably somewhere warm by a beach) to study martial arts for 3 months. I have not picked a location or type of art yet. I'm trying to find a form of art that is more spiritual (I admire ancient ways of life similar to the samurai & yoga practices) but still allows me to defend myself (ideally without breaking bones).

#1 Posted: 18/6/2013 - 21:13

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Stu
    You ever fight before?

The idea of a "spirtual element" of martial arts is more hollywood than reality. That's not to say that there isn't any element, but when it comes to defending yourself, there are no magic formulas. There is learning technique for parrying / blocking strikes. There is learning technique for take downs and take down prevention. There is learning technique for grappling. There is learning technique for hand strikes and technique for kicks. Then there's repeating this technique many times to develop muscle memory. Over years, you get godo at it. Not over months.

Invariably defending yourself means at a minimum taking your opponent down and restraining him. More often than not, it means injuring him in a serious altercation. That's a fact of life that romantics don't like. They all want to be Kane in Kung Fu, but that's a TV show, not reality.

I live in Thailand, and here the dominant martial arts are Muay Thai, Boxing and Tae Kwon Do. These are all striking arts with no meaningful spiratuality (Muay Thai has some holdover formalities that are still practiced). Muay Thai is the organic art, and it is a very tough sport with emphasis on hard strikes.

I suspect Aikido would be something that would appeal to you more. But that's a Japanese art, not organic to SEA. There are, however, dojos here you can find on the internet if you want. I train in WTF Tae Kwon Do out in Mukdahan. You would be welcome to join us if you want, but I warn you all the instruction is in Thai (my instructor does not speak English), we do nothing that would resemble anything spiratual and when we spar we spar full contact. Broken bones and injuries do happen. This last year I've broken my nose, my sparring partner broke his arm blocking a kick.

#2 Posted: 19/6/2013 - 00:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Hey, karate kid, you still out there? Narrowed any ideas down.

#3 Posted: 21/6/2013 - 03:41

• lorainemosby

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2013

The best place to learn martial art is Japan. You can learn its traditional form of martial art like Jiujitsu, aikido, kendo and many more. Martial art not only teaches us physically but also morally with a focus on self-improvement, fulfillment or personal growth. Just enroll in any martial arts school in Japan for more development.

#4 Posted: 20/11/2013 - 03:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Except that Japan isn't in SEA and I doubt there's much you could learn in Japan that you can not now learn in most parts of the world. Globalization has brought us that nifty little bennie.

#5 Posted: 20/11/2013 - 11:08

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

1 post wonders

Wonder why they bother

#6 Posted: 27/11/2013 - 09:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

You and me both Leonard.

#7 Posted: 27/11/2013 - 11:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.