Southeast Asia forum

6 months in SEA. Writer seeking loose Itinerary advice.

• moss_1184

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2013

Hello Everyone,

First wow, I love this website and have learned endless amounts reading through thread after thread over the first few months. Great community which I was so happy to find and hope to become a part of once I have some regional travel under my belt.

Okay, now the reason of my post. At the end of July I'm quitting my job as a teacher and embarking on a RTW trip of sorts. I'll be in Europe from August to early November then I'm flying to Bangkok to start my SEA adventure. I have a bout six months in the region as I need to be back for my best friends' wedding in mid may.

First a little bit about me. I'm a 25 year old Canadian teacher/writer. I have been living in the U/K for a year and have traveled pretty extensively but mostly in Europe and north america. I don't drink (blood condition and wallet choice). I adore travelling anywhere and everywhere and enjoy meeting fellow backpackers as well as locals. (Best experience in my life was living in Italy working at English camps and staying with local families). I like to have some idea of where i'm going next but am trying to avoid over planning and more just setting out approximate amounts of time to stay in a region. I love to eat but have no problem with street food or cooking for myself. The other main activity I do while travelling is write. (Fantasy novels mostly) I love to go find somewhere beautiful without a trace of the internet, ideally outside and just find a place to sit and lose myself for half the day. I write on my computer, which is a Macbook air so I guess one question is so long as I use common sense, is that safe to do in SEA during daylight hours? Also will I be able to find outlets to charge my Mac at guesthouses etc? (I'll be travelling as cheaply as I can) Writing is a major purpose of this journey surpassed only by exploring new cultures and seeing a corner of the world I've not yet seen. Thanks for any answers.

Now the meat of my post. A very rough itinerary. I have worked through these and have come up with two options. Right now I'm strongly leaning to option 2. Any and all feedback, thoughts and advice is very welcome.

Itinerary option A
    November 15th : Fly from Athens or Istanbul to bangkok
    November 15th to 30th: Two weeks exploring Bangkok and some areas near the border with Burma/Myanmar
    November 30th to December 15th: Burma/Myanmar
    December 15th to 28th Chiang Mai and surroundings
    December 28th to January 20th: Laos
    January 20th to 14th of February: Northern Vietnam (Chilly I know, but hey, I'm Canadian)
    FLY from Ha Noi to Phnom Penh
    14th of February-March 7th: explore Cambodia
    March 7th-April 15th : back in to Thailand and down to the Islands. Koh Phi Phi, Koh Phan Gan and a few others
    April 15th: Fly to Indonesia from Bangkok
    April 15th to May 15th: Explore Indonesia. (This is a country I really do want to see even though I know solo travelling can be hard)
    Fly Home (likely to New York or Toronto) May 15th

Okay now Option B which I am leaning towards as the plan (keeping in mind all plans can and likely will change)

November 15th land in Bangkok explore the city for 4 days or so
    November 19th-December 10th: Down to Thai islands.
    December 10th- January 10th: Fly from Bangkok to Indonesia and explore.
    January 10th-20th: Fly to Chiang Mai and explore area for 10 days
    January 20th-February 14th: Explore Laos
    February 14th- March 14th : North to south Vietnam Leg
    March 14th to April 1st: Cambodia
    April 1st: Fly from Bangkok to Kathmandu
    April 1st to 21st: Three weeks in Nepal
    April 21st to May 15th: Northern India (I know I'll only see a tiny fraction but I have always wanted to visit this region of the world.
    May 15th: Fly home from Dehli.

I know the second one crams quite a bit in but I think it's worth it. If I find I'm moving too fast I may cut the idea of central and southern Vietnam and just fly from the north down to Cambodia, giving myself a little more time.

So am I crazy to try to fit in Nepal and a small slice of India? Please let me know of any thoughts you have. They will be very welcome.
    Just FYI after this leg of the trip I'll be going home for 3 months to Canada to relax, see the family and get my energy back. Then I'll be heading off to south america for about 10 months! Thanks for reading this rambling post!

All the best Travelfish!

Luke R-G

#1 Posted: 25/6/2013 - 03:12

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Seeking Advice on Myanmar Itinerary ... By valerie1213 on 10 Apr 2012 4 2390 16 Apr 2012
Seeking Advice: 6 month itinerary ... By Msalkinder on 13 Jun 2012 4 3519 7 Aug 2012
Seeking Advice on Eight Week Southeast Asia Itinerary! ... By brand0n on 25 May 2011 1 3598 25 May 2011
Vietnam / Thailand itinerary - seeking advice from experienced travellers ... By prankmonkey on 9 Feb 2010 4 2330 12 Feb 2010
Seeking advice: 3 week itinerary (Thailand, Malaysia and Angkor) ... By Emanuela on 7 Aug 2012 1 1711 9 Aug 2012
How do you handle proof of departure for an unstructured trip with loose itinerary ... By adaminasia on 10 Aug 2013 17 2351 13 Aug 2014
Advice Itinerary 2 months: Thailand, Laos & Cambodia ... By andreabarbera on 22 Mar 2013 5 4360 26 Mar 2013
6 weeks in Thailand: seeking advice ... By esseestpercipi on 5 May 2014 9 970 6 May 2014
Seeking advice on when to visit Myanmar ... By craig201 on 2 Nov 2014 1 222 3 Nov 2014