Southeast Asia forum

Dengue, a real concern or not?

• TonyM

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Hi all,

Some friends of mine recently came back from Bali, stayed in Legian and now back home but have been diagnosed with a mild case of Dengue fever, I'm hearing its in epidemic proportions and everywhere throughout many SEA countries, is this true and if diagnosed does it prevent you from ever returning? Clarification please....

#1 Posted: 25/6/2013 - 07:36

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

All I can add is that I am prone to mozzie bites (I sweat heavily), have made 5 recent trips to SEA, and have had no problems. I don't do swamps (I understand that Dengue is in urban areas), but there's no need for paranoia. The internet has the tendency to really blow these things way out of proportion!

#2 Posted: 25/6/2013 - 13:07

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I've had dengue (also caught it in Bali) and I wouldn't recommend it, but likewise it wouldn't stop me from travelling (or living) in the region. You can read more about it, along with treatment and other's experiences etc, here.

#3 Posted: 25/6/2013 - 21:00

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Dengue is endemic to SEA. While you can get dengue any time of the year, there is usually an uptick in the number of cases during the rainy season because mosquitoes have more breeding grounds. The rainy season has started so that is why you are hearing news about more dengue.

Thailand seems to be having a bad dengue season this year. According to this Bangkok Post report, they are expecting 100,000 cases for this year. Now take into consideration that Thailand has a population of about 70 million. So the chances of you getting dengue in Thailand are low, especially if you practice mosquito avoidance.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/354101/new-dengue-patients-double-in-past-week

However, other SEA countries are not reporting an increased number of dengue cases. See the trends here:
    http://www.wpro.who.int/emerging_diseases/DengueSituationUpdates/en/

I can't find a similar report for the WHO SEARO office that covers the other SEA countries like Thailand, Indonesia, etc.

If you get dengue, it doesn't stop you from traveling to dengue endemic regions of the world. That would include Africa, South and Central America and the other parts of Asia like South China. However, you will want to take precautions because the second time you get dengue is usually worst than the first.

#4 Posted: 25/6/2013 - 21:03

• TonyM

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Hey thanks for taking time to reply and give your feedback, very informative.

#5 Posted: 26/6/2013 - 02:07

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Laos is having a bad year of it. This week the # of new cases has stabilized at the main hospital in Vientiane. My wife, her sister, and our brother in law have all come down with it in the past 2 weeks. Only serious cases go to the hospital. My bout of ten years ago was similar to my wife's. A couple days of chills, strong fever, and bone aches, followed by days of more than usual lethargy.

From VT Times June 17
    The high number of cases indicated dengue may soon reach epidemic proportions in Laos, a senior official in the Lao Ministry of Health warned in a speech during the celebrations of ASEAN Dengue Day here on Tuesday.
    "If there are no effective actions undertaken, there will be serious economic and social consequences for Lao PDR including deaths, overloaded central, provincial and district health care facilities, and debilitated workers due to illness,
    I pretty much don't worry about malaria. Dengue has my grudging respect.

#6 Posted: 26/6/2013 - 09:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.