Southeast Asia forum

Travelling in Southeast Asia during Ramadan

• sambrown

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2013

From our Malaysia wire:

"Ramadan can be a mystery for many travellers passing through predominantly Muslim terrain. Messages of 'everything will be closed' are often passed along the backpacking word-of-mouth trail, but rest assured, besides a few inconveniences of finding some businesses closed or perhaps a ferry schedule changed, it's not too big a deal. The cultural experience alone is worth the extra effort of working your schedule around any inconveniences."

Read the full post or post your thoughts below.

#1 Posted: 12/7/2013 - 04:32

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Nice one. I remember Ramadan as being a very special time as well during the years I lived in Turkey. I think it is worth repeating that travellers are not expected to fast, and in my experience neither are non-Muslims, so you can always find something to eat and drink - just be discreet about it. I also remember my Turkish friends being a bit rough around the edges at times - particularly the smokers, who were going without cigarettes all day - so definitely cut them a little extra slack just like the article says.

Of course, if you find yourself in a predominately Muslim area during Ramadan, you can always jump in with both feet and observe the fast too. It isn't necessarily fun but it can be a special experience. Regards.

#2 Posted: 12/7/2013 - 14:10

• imasmiley88

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2012

There are also Muslims here in our country and Ramadan is also observed in many places here. I so no problem with it because there are also Christians here so there are still lots of establishments that are open. :)
    My advice for travelers is just to be discreet and not eat so much food in front of those who fast as a sign of respect.
    Overall, I find Ramadan a happy festival 'cause there are lots of food at night.

#3 Posted: 15/7/2013 - 07:03

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I find the main problem with Ramadan in Indonesia is Idul Fitri. Airfares triple, loads of ferries get cancelled and if you happen to be in a not very touristy part of the country the friendly locals will probably invite you into every single house in the village and you'll be made to eat enormous quantities of cake and drink gallons of red fanta. I can't stand red fanta but you can't refuse because it seems to be the Indonesian equivalent of Veuve Clicquot champagne.

Beware of ferry cancellations etc at Idul Adha too. It's around October 15th this year.

#4 Posted: 15/7/2013 - 13:11

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Malaysia is not a problem during Ramadan as there are so many Chinese restaurants. If you are travelling, for example on a bus or train you are exempt from the fast anyway so don't be troubled about eating and drinking.

SBE
    It's not true that you can'refuse without offending. Just explain it is not your custom to drink red fizzy gunk. They usually understand the importance of custom.
    The idea that I have to eat eyeballs or spiders or any other of the revolting 'snacks' on offer in Asia because not doing so might offend is frankly offensive to me. I'd put Fanta at the top of my list of revolting too. ;-)

I can't see anything particularly interesting about Ramadan. Rumbling stomachs, constant hawking and spitting and most people half asleep because they've been gourging themselves all night, falling asleep at the wheel leading to more smashes. None of this really appeals.

Wait for Ied at the end of Ramadan. Now that's worth experiencing.

#5 Posted: 15/7/2013 - 23:43

• dokuman

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2013

According to Islamic lunar calendar Ramadan is the ninth month. Ramadan starts when the crescent moon is visible on the first day of the ninth month of Islamic calendar. The evening when crescent moon is seen, at that night they start the namaz called as 'Taraweeh' along with the regular namaz. Every year the month of Ramadan appears 15 day early according to English calendar.

It must not be so hard to travel in the month of Ramadan you just need to keep your will stable. If you are travelling in SE Asia I don't think there are less number of restaurants in any part of Asia except wilderness. If any one concerned about food while travelling then they should carry dates, water, and some snacks. But be careful of exhaustion while you travel.

#6 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 03:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travelling to Southeast Asia in August ... By Steph24 on 24 Feb 2013 1 943 25 Feb 2013
First time travelling through southeast asia, help please! :-)! ... By Fisher88 on 26 Apr 2011 1 3740 29 Apr 2011
Travelling Southeast Asia, budget and itinary HELP much appreciated ... By DD1987 on 4 Apr 2014 4 1512 9 Apr 2014