Southeast Asia forum

Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam in 3 weeks

• bbluedd

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2013

I have read many posts saying that I will need more time than 3 weeks to travel Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam, but please hear me out and help. My friend and I can only take 3 weeks off work, and we really want to visit all three countries. We understand we may not hit all the main attractions. With such a tight schedule, we know we won't get to relax a lot, but we are excited about being on the move all the time. We like sightseeing from buses and trains too.

We are interested in experiencing just the main highlights of the three countries. The problem is, we are having a hard time narrowing down which places to hit in each country so that it's still possible to travel in just about a week per country. Please help us start our itinerary. We have no idea how far things are, so it is difficult to pin the places to go. We are planning to go February 2014, so we are just beginning our plan. We have not purchased or reserved anything yet.

Thanks in advance, travel veterans, for your kind help!

#1 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 04:04

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"but we are excited about being on the move all the time. We like sightseeing from buses and trains too."

Are you guys masochistic? There's a place in Bangkok I've heard of that caters to that sort of thing.

What you will see from the buses is lots of the same kind of stuff. Long bus rides (and you'd be in for a lot of them) suck. Plain and simple. Long bus rides in Laos and Cambodia suck a tremendous amount.

The logic behind this escapes me. You can go to any one of these countries and just scrape the surface of what there is to see and experience. Why waste most of your time sitting on a shitty ass bus? Transportation infrastructure in a lot of these places isn't very good, buses can be painfully slow and grossly uncomfortable to boot. If you get the runs and you're on a bus with no toilet - like the vast majority - it's not a good time. The chances of one of you getting the runs out here are high.

Beyond that, for anyone here to help you build an itinerary that's worth anything, you have to give a hint as to what your desires are. What kind of experience you are looking for? Some focus.

#2 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 07:44

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

If you must do this then I would recommend the following (someone else had a similar post on here last week):

- Pick one base in each country;

- Fly between countries.

Logical base in Vietnam would be either Hanoi (from where you could travel to Sapa and Halong Bay) or Saigon (from where you could see the tunnels and Mekong Delta). My preference would be Hanoi, as a city, but also because Sapa and HB are great places, particularly Sapa.

Logical Cambodia base would be Siem Reap (temples, Tonle Sap) and probably Bangkok for Thailand (not familiar with Thailand).

Even with this approach, I don't think one week per country will give anywhere near enough time time to see the "highlights" of a country but if you must do three countries in three weeks then I think it is the best approach.

#3 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 08:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand in 6 - 7 weeks ... By LynneVermont on 6 Feb 2011 2 2657 7 Feb 2011
Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand 4 weeks HELP!! ... By charlotte1208 on 11 Feb 2009 1 5636 13 Feb 2009
Thailand, Vietnam & Cambodia in 3 weeks ... By squaretiger on 2 Aug 2012 4 2172 11 Aug 2012
Thailand,cambodia, vietnam in 6 weeks?? ... By macdaisy on 25 Aug 2008 2 3126 25 Aug 2008
Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand in 3 weeks? ... By elysek on 22 May 2012 4 1913 23 May 2012
5 Weeks Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam??I ... By megwag90 on 24 Feb 2014 23 815 3 Mar 2014
5 Weeks - (Thailand) - Vietnam - Cambodia ... By nikeshbjani on 28 Jul 2013 17 1264 4 Aug 2013
6/7 weeks in thailand/cambodia & vietnam ... By chivers on 7 Oct 2009 1 2307 8 Oct 2009
5 weeks in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam ... By waitrya on 15 Feb 2010 3 2941 20 Feb 2010
Cambodia/Vietnam/Thailand in 3 weeks ... By jonice08 on 16 May 2013 6 1422 25 May 2013