Southeast Asia forum

3 weeks, malaysia/viet/thailand...please help me start!

• slowtyper

Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2013

I will be in asia for vacation Aug 22 to Sep 23. 1 week will be spent in Seoul, then my girl and I have three weeks to travel.

I prefer to stay in one area and just soak it up. My girlfriend prefers to see many wonderful things and different places, so we will have to compromise and do a bit of each. Luckily however,we both are not into big cities or tourist attractions that are very "touristy". Not really into lazing around on the beach. FOOD is a major facet of the trip. I'm a professional cook and love SE asian food and want to soak up as much as I can. No need for nightclubs.

I have family in Malaysia and will definitely spend a week in malaysia. Family is in Penang and Ipoh, and want to see brunei....what is a good place to go there? recommended to take a tour or just go and explore??

So after all that, we have two weeks left. (feels so short already). I was thinking a week in Thailand and a week in Vietnam...but more specific than that, I'm at a loss. Everyone I ask recommends different places, and there are so many!

I just discovered this forum and will be digging in deep in the next few weeks. Any help to get started would be appreciated!

Additional questions:
    What is the recommended way to find hotels (book online? Just go and look?) We don't want to stay in shared hostels, but we also don't need luxurious western style hotels. Something in between would be fine, we like the privacy and comfort of a hotel room but don't mind the charms of a local place. I have to keep budget in mind, however I don't mind spending a bit more for short haul flights to save time to maximize the experience.

I've used airbnb and been very happy with it in North America. Anyone have experience with something like this in asia?

Thanks so much and sorry for posting what I'm sure has been posted a million times. I hope I've narrowed down our preferences a bit to make it easier.

#1 Posted: 21/7/2013 - 10:15

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

My opinion - just too much moving around. Since Vietnam is so different and somewhat difficult, I would leave it for another trip. I think Airbnb is fine for Bangkok, but I don't know about the rest of Thailand. I booked my hotels with Agoda recently, and the service was excellent. You pay up front with Agoda (use Booking.com if you prefer to pay later).

I think you would like Luang Prabang in Laos, but it's next to impossible to find great places in SEA that are not touristy.

If you get to LP, don't miss that wonderful swimming hole at Kwang Si - pictured here

#2 Posted: 21/7/2013 - 12:18

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi there,

I'd agree with Daawgon, that it would make more sense to cut back on the number of countries.

However I personally find the food in Vietnam (especially Northern Vietnam) to be better than the food in Thailand, but Thailand might make more sense in terms of your itinerary - where can you fly in from Seoul or out when it's time to go home again, and what gives you a practical route without too much wasted time in airports or bus stations? As you've got limited time, it makes sense to minimise time spent in transit.

Malaysian food is fantastic, and Penang is one of the foodiest places in Malaysia, so ensure you give yourself plenty of time to enjoy it. Brunei is a long way from Penang and Ipoh, however, so I'd suggest you save it for another trip when you've got more time to explore non-peninsular Malaysia / Borneo.

Have fun!

#3 Posted: 21/7/2013 - 13:22

• slowtyper

Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2013

Thanks for the replies! It's difficult to save things for another trip because taking a month off work was already a very difficult thing for me. It's unlikely I'll be able to do anything like this for a long time! Hmm I'll have to do more reading up soon!

#4 Posted: 21/7/2013 - 13:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
start malaysia-march/return 6 weeks ... By lemonhead on 10 Aug 2010 1 2659 16 Sep 2010
3 Weeks in Thailand!! Help where to start ... By cococommando on 9 Nov 2013 25 1224 12 Nov 2013
Beginners wanting to learn to dive on a budget.Where too start,Cambodia,Thailand or Malaysia ... By kernowfixing on 21 Feb 2010 9 11801 3 Jul 2011
Unsure what to do with two weeks in Thailand at the start of a 6 month SEA trip ... By bd7391 on 10 Jan 2013 6 1631 12 Jan 2013
Friendly 1st-time advice sought for 3 month trip to Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia & Viet Nam ... By bobby_gigi on 18 Apr 2011 7 5236 21 Apr 2011
Route advice; 4 weeks Peninsular Malaysia and 3 weeks East Malaysia ... By GhostOfTomJoad on 31 Jan 2013 2 3374 3 Feb 2013
3 weeks in Thailand and Malaysia ... By indiepops on 18 Sep 2013 5 1051 20 Sep 2013
Two Weeks - Thailand, Veitnam & Malaysia ... By traveller705 on 10 Aug 2014 7 547 12 Aug 2014
Traveling from Malaysia to Thailand in 3.5 weeks???? HELP! ... By lorievans121 on 3 Apr 2013 3 1455 3 Apr 2013
2 weeks in Thailand, Malaysia and Cambodia? ... By Annanas28 on 10 Oct 2011 16 3967 11 Oct 2011