Southeast Asia forum

Tai Chi & QiGong in Southeast Asia

• noslen

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2013

Hi everyone,

I will be traveling to Southeast Asia (Bali, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia) for 6 months from September on and would like to practice some Tai Chi & QiGong along the way.

I've been doing Tai Chi (Yang-style shortform) & QiGong for about 8 months and would love to continue practicing in groups during my travels. I am not necessarily looking for complete courses but more for 'drop-in' kind of classes.

I know that both Tai Chi & QiGong is often practiced in parks and public places in cities and I've also found a few information on classes in Chiang Mai & Ko Chang.

Does anyone know more about this or can share any experiences with Tai Chi / QiGong in the region?

Would be very grateful for any info or suggestions.
    Thanks a lot!

#1 Posted: 27/7/2013 - 12:56

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I've never actually joined in, but I've seen group Tai Chi in parks in Bangkok, including Lumpini in the early morning and Santi Phap (east of Victory Monument) in the early evenings. I also seem to remember seeing it in recreation areas in both Saigon and Hanoi. If you hang around parks and lakes at the right times, I'm sure you'll find it often.

#2 Posted: 27/7/2013 - 22:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

We have aerobics here in Muk at the park every evening at five, but I've never seen anything else (well sports like basketball of course). We do have a Yoga studio that does drop in classes, but that's not the same. You might find some info on the internet though. Try some searches for Tai Chi or Qi Gong with associated cities.

#3 Posted: 28/7/2013 - 01:19

• noslen

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2013

Thanks for your responses. Looks like I'll be checking out local parks and river areas - see if I can slot in with the locals :)

I guess it's probably easiest to look out for drop in classes while out there..
    Cheers.

#4 Posted: 30/7/2013 - 04:24

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

You might also be interested in this if seeking something more structured (I think this group practices in Lumpini Park):

www.taichisocietythailand.com/

#5 Posted: 30/7/2013 - 06:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

noslen
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one interested in pursuing my hobbies while on the road. I think it's a great way to get to meet indigenous people.

#6 Posted: 30/7/2013 - 07:27

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Be honest MADMAC, you'd much rather get smashed in a hostel on Kho San Road.

#7 Posted: 30/7/2013 - 08:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Oh yeah, China, that's my favorite thing to do. I just love Khao San Road.

I think I would rather commit suicide than sit around getting drunk in a hostel on Khao San Road.

#8 Posted: 30/7/2013 - 11:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.