Southeast Asia forum

Will we be chasing the rain?

• katieandchr-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2013

We are planning on travelling around SE Asia from October 2014 to January 2015. We want to go to Thailand - Laos - Vietnam - Cambodia then finish back in Thailand. (Probably spending a month in each country)
    I know October and November is rainy season in different places. Will this affect our route? Should we travel the other way??

#1 Posted: 29/7/2013 - 14:53

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Oct/Nov brings some rain for the Samui islands but elsewhere in Thailand it's pretty dry normally. Over the course of 4 mths there's not much need to worry about rain. That's the least of your concerns. It's going to be hot and humid most days and you'll be taking 5 showers a day to cool off.

#2 Posted: 29/7/2013 - 20:18

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

You're crossing several different weather patterns - shouldn't be a big problem. A month in Laos? - I seriously doubt that one. Actually you will need far more time in Vietnam than either Laos or Cambodia.

Actually, I think I would do it in this order: Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and then Laos. The best way would be to fly into Hanoi and work your way south and west into Cambodia (overland is possible but not exactly comfortable).

#3 Posted: 30/7/2013 - 21:13

• katieandchr-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2013

Thanks for the advice. The time we spend in each country if obviously only theoretical at the moment so will take what you said on board.

#4 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 13:23

• lauralenny

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2013

hi daawgon
    you mention flying into hanoi and working your way south then up to cambodia. How would you recommend getting from siem reap to vientiane? any easy way or are the only two options - fly or overland for 36 hours? i dont want to stop in between (itinerary doesnt really allow for it)... i guess im answering my own question here!
    thanks
    laura

#5 Posted: 5/10/2013 - 12:35

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Read up on the weather in each and plan your route on that basis as if you are in the North of Vietnam and Laos it can get cold

lauralenny go via thailand

#6 Posted: 7/10/2013 - 07:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.