Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Will we be chasing the rain?

Posted by katieandchris on 29/7/2013 at 14:53

We are planning on travelling around SE Asia from October 2014 to January 2015. We want to go to Thailand - Laos - Vietnam - Cambodia then finish back in Thailand. (Probably spending a month in each country)
I know October and November is rainy season in different places. Will this affect our route? Should we travel the other way??

#1 katieandchris has been a member since 28/7/2013. Posts: 12

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 29/7/2013 at 20:18

Oct/Nov brings some rain for the Samui islands but elsewhere in Thailand it's pretty dry normally. Over the course of 4 mths there's not much need to worry about rain. That's the least of your concerns. It's going to be hot and humid most days and you'll be taking 5 showers a day to cool off.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by daawgon on 30/7/2013 at 21:13

You're crossing several different weather patterns - shouldn't be a big problem. A month in Laos? - I seriously doubt that one. Actually you will need far more time in Vietnam than either Laos or Cambodia.

Actually, I think I would do it in this order: Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and then Laos. The best way would be to fly into Hanoi and work your way south and west into Cambodia (overland is possible but not exactly comfortable).

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,093

Posted by katieandchris on 1/8/2013 at 13:23

Thanks for the advice. The time we spend in each country if obviously only theoretical at the moment so will take what you said on board.

#4 katieandchris has been a member since 28/7/2013. Posts: 12

Posted by lauralenny on 5/10/2013 at 12:35

hi daawgon
you mention flying into hanoi and working your way south then up to cambodia. How would you recommend getting from siem reap to vientiane? any easy way or are the only two options - fly or overland for 36 hours? i dont want to stop in between (itinerary doesnt really allow for it)... i guess im answering my own question here!
thanks
laura

#5 lauralenny has been a member since 5/10/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by amnicoll on 7/10/2013 at 07:21

Read up on the weather in each and plan your route on that basis as if you are in the North of Vietnam and Laos it can get cold

lauralenny go via thailand

#6 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 638

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.