Southeast Asia forum

SEA May-July 2014

• emiliaj

Joined Travelfish
    22nd July, 2013

My friend and I are planning on traveling to SEA and India between mid-May-Julyish. I've read the weather "warnings" in my LP guidebook but how bad is it actually going to be? I've been to China before from May-July so I know the heat/humidity aspect of Asia, but is the rain going to be a killjoy for our trip?

Thanks! :)

#1 Posted: 29/7/2013 - 21:48

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Oh dear, another weather question. Read the forum.

#2 Posted: 29/7/2013 - 22:03

• emiliaj

Joined Travelfish
    22nd July, 2013

Well, I did. And I found that most people were asking about months that I was not traveling in; hence me asking my question. If I overlooked something, please let me know.

#3 Posted: 29/7/2013 - 22:05

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

May is usually very hot and June/July rainy season gets going. But it can rain hard in May or be hot and sunny in June/July. It can also vary a lot depending on location, i.e. pissing down rain in one place meanwhile blazing hot 30km away. Tropical rains tend to arrive abruptly after a hot spell, usually late in the day when hot humid air cools. Trying to predict when/where/how much rain will occur is virtually impossible. And believe it or not some of us who live in the region actually like rain. Expect a mix of sun/cloud/rain and you won't be disappointed. ;-)

#4 Posted: 30/7/2013 - 04:46

• emiliaj

Joined Travelfish
    22nd July, 2013

Thank you this was very helpful! [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img] We were planning on going to Bali, Singapore, Thai Islands from mid May through early June since we read that's the best time to go to those areas since the Thai Islands start to have bad weather after May and Bali gets crowded in July. I most certainly do not mind the rains, and always welcomed them and they're cooling powers when in China! haha. Thanks again! [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#5 Posted: 30/7/2013 - 07:54

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Also note that the lower Gulf of Thailand (Ko Samui, etc.) has its own "sunny" season June-September shielded from the SW monsoon.

#6 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 01:51

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

This site has extensive weather info if you tried using the search engine or just use google. Every major city and island has weather averages recorded.

#7 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 09:33

• emiliaj

Joined Travelfish
    22nd July, 2013

Bob, thanks for the tip! I actually had no idea about Ko Samui not being affected by the monsoon. That info will actually help quite a bit with some of my planning issues I've been having.

Leonard, I honestly have no idea why you seem so upset that I asked a "weather question." I've been planning this trip since April and as previously stated, I have read all the weather info in my LP guidebook (I have an excel sheet with all the averages typed out). I more or less wanted an affirmation from someone who lives or has been there during those months to confirm. Info on sites can be different from people's personal experiences. Please do not go on assuming that I have not "tried" or put forth any sort of effort before posting something on the forum. This is a forum for people to help one another; and as I am sure you know, planning a long trip can be very overwhelming with the wealth of information provided these days so it really is nice to be able to touch base with people on their personal experiences. Sorry to have upset you so much over a silly question.

#8 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 11:01

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Not upset at all it's just that every 2nd person asks the same question when a brief search will provide you detailed rainfall averages. No one can guarantee weather and predict weather 100% but what you can do is look at the official data.

Type in destination and rainfall into any search engine will give you all the data you want.

#9 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 20:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.