Southeast Asia forum

Southeast asia in ~7 weeks

• pedrorf94

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2012

Hi all,
    I`m planning a 7-week (47 days to be more precise) trip to southeast asia on december. I was thinking about Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Singapore. So I thought about my itinerary, and planned something like that:
    1)Arrive in Bangkok
    2) Bangkok - Ko Phi Phi (I want to do it overland)
    3) Ko Phi Phi - Ko Samui
    4)Ko Samui - Ko Pha Ngan - Ko Samui (apparently there is a ferry connecting these two islands, then I was planning on staying over in Samui, and on new year`s eve head to Pha Ngan just for the party, and return on the following day - I've done a little research and found a hostel with lockers in Samui, then I would like to know from more experienced travellers if it would be safe to leave my belongings (DSLR camera and mobile) locked in Samui, while I`m in Pha Ngan)
    5)Ko Samui - Bangkok - Ayuthaya (by train or bus)
    6)Ayutthaya - Sukhothai
    7)Sukhothai - Chiang Mai
    8) Chiang Mai - Luang Prabang (overland)
    9) Luang Prabang - Vang Vieng
    10)Vang Vieng - Vientiane
    11)Vientiane - Siem Reap or Phnom Penh (the cheapear flight) - or is it feasible to do by bus ?
    12) Siem Reap - Phnom Penh (boat)
    13)? - ( I would like to fit Malaysia, but if it is too rush I would fly from Phnom Penh to Singapore)
    14) Depart from Singapore

For the amount of time I have, is it okay? or would be alright to add Vietnam or Bali?
    Ah, and some information about my self, I'm 19, and I like to party though I`m also eager to experience there culture, then I don`t want to be in a rush. And that`s will be my first travel solo.
    Thank you.

#1 Posted: 3/8/2013 - 11:07

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Roughly put in the days you want to spend places and we can help more. Hard to tell since some people like to overload time on islands etc and then spread themselves really thin on other travel.

Overall looks like a doable itinerary for 7 weeks. Is there something in particular you are going to Singapore for though? Would add a fair bit of cost but that is up to you. Would be cheaper to fly to Kuala Lumpur via Air Asia and then head down to Singapore overland. Would probably be tight to fit in more locations in Malaysia since you would have to head north first for most of the main sights.

#2 Posted: 3/8/2013 - 11:27

• pedrorf94

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2012

- Bangkok - 6 nights
    - Ko Phi Phi - 4 nights
    - Koh Samui - 5 nights (including Ko Pha Ngan)
    - Ayuthaya - 1 night
    - Sukhothai - 1 night
    - Chiang Mai - 4 nights
    - Luang Prabang - 4 nights
    - Vang Vieng - 2 nights
    - Vientiane - 3 nights
    - Siem Reap - 4 nights (Is it enough for visiting Angkor and some other temples, I'm interested in history though I'm not a temple buss)
    - Phnom Penh - 4 nights
    - Singapore - 3 nights

And then I would have 6 spare days, that could be used for the long overland journeys, and just in case I decide to stay a little longer somewhere or add somewhere else.
    About Kuala Lumpur it`s a good idea I think, since It would be cheaper than flying directly to Singapore.
    And Singapore? It`s because I think I will buy my flight leaving asia from there.
    Thank you a lot.

#3 Posted: 3/8/2013 - 11:40

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Almost certainly would be cheaper to fly round trip from Bangkok so not sure why you would be going to Singapore just to fly home from there.

I would cut down on time in Bangkok, imo 3-4 days max is plenty. Will need some travel days/time to get back from Koh Samui up to Ayuthaya and then up to Chiang Mai . Quickest would probably be 3 nights worth(1 night travel up to Bangkok), day travel to Ayuthaya, night in Ayuthaya, bus to Sukhothai , day and night in Sukhothai and then bus to Chiang Mai in morning.

How are you getting to Luang Prabang ? If flying this makes sense otherwise need a day or 2 for travel(likely 2). Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng is a decent length bus ride so will eat up most of a day as well, either needs to be out of Luang Prabang time or a day added. Not that much in Vientiane and most people do it in a day so could actually probably just swap a day here for Vang Vieng travel.

4 nights in Siem Reap should be good. 3 day ticket is cheaper and is long enough you could also go see some temples a little ways out of town like Roulous Group, Banteay Srei, Beng Mealea.

4 nights in Phnom Penh is plenty. 2 days is probably enough actually. 1 day to see Tuol Sleng and killing fields. Other day to check out national museum(definitely worth doing after you have been to Siem Reap since you get to see actual sculptures instead of replicas) and palace.

All in all if you add travel days and reduce time in some of the bigger cities then that breaks around even and gives you still 6 days or so. That would be enough to fly into Kuala Lumpur and then go see one other area in Malaysia if that interests you. Or you could just leave it open as there are some other places kind of worth seeing along way and could easily use up those extra days.

Overall trip looks realistic and should be fun.

#4 Posted: 3/8/2013 - 12:22

• pedrorf94

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2012

I had a look on the prices of the flight but it looks pretty much the same. But actually it looks like to be easier for the logistic to book a round trip. So, after Bkk I would go all the way south up to Kuala Lumpur, and then I would fly to phnom Penh, go to Siem Reap, fly to Luang prabang, go to Vang Vieng and then go to Bangkok, passing by Chiang Mai, sukhothai and Ayutthaya. And isn`t Vientiane really not worth going?
    Another thing, that thing I said about Koh Samui, is it feasible to go to Ko Pha Ngan only for the party? And leave my belongings in the hostel locker with my padlock ?

#5 Posted: 3/8/2013 - 18:28

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I spent nearly a week in Vientiane as I was recovering from Dengue Fever. The accommodation is overpriced and I saw very little of any interest. I really wouldn't worry about missing it. The only reason it kind of makes sense is that you would travel from there after coming from Vang Vieng .

Leaving your belongings in a hostel or guesthouse should be fine. Most of the owners are fairly responsible and any of those that aren't have bad reviews so just make sure you aren't leaving bags at a bad location. I don't know that making the trip just for the party would be worth it since there will be parties on Koh Samui as well but whatever floats your boat.

What I would recommend is flying from Kuala Lumpur up to Phnom Penh. Then going to Siem Reap but then fly to Vientiane(cheaper as it is direct). Then do Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang then head over to Chiang Mai(can take slow boat then bus if you want and have time).

#6 Posted: 3/8/2013 - 23:03

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

I'd do temples at the start then head to the islands. You want to be relaxing at the end of the trip.

#7 Posted: 4/8/2013 - 08:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
SouthEast Asia 9 weeks ... By keoghangel on 26 Jan 2011 0 3596 26 Jan 2011
Southeast Asia in two weeks ... By angiulet on 18 Jan 2011 8 6744 20 Jan 2011
5 weeks in Southeast Asia ... By SaltwaterGem on 4 Jan 2013 7 1787 5 Jan 2013
southeast asia for 5 weeks ... By slemien on 22 Feb 2011 34 10090 22 Apr 2011
Six weeks in Southeast Asia, what shall I do? ... By HexagonalBolts on 19 May 2011 11 6113 23 May 2011
6 weeks in southeast asia ... By cassrose on 13 Sep 2009 6 8142 15 Sep 2009