Southeast Asia forum

7 Months in South East Asia itinerairy help

• keentravell-
    er12

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2013

Hi,

In 2014 i aim to be going to south east asia for 7 months the countries i want to include and rough timescales in each area are:

Thailand (3months), Vietnam (1month), Laos (1-2weeks), Cambodia(1-2 weeks), Singapore (1weeks), Malaysia (3-4weeks), indonesia (3-4weeks)

I think that in Thailand and Vietnam i will not plan much but just wander. Some questions i have are:

Will one week in Cambodia and Laos be enough?

Which parts of Malaysia/Borneo would it be best for me to visit for 3-4 weeks?
    and
    Which part of Indonesia would it be best for me to visit for 3-4 weeks?

My budget would be around $1500 US a month, any general ideas would be much welcome.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 9/8/2013 - 10:05

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"Will one week in Cambodia and Laos be enough?"

I guess the real question is: Enough to do / see what?

One week in Cambodia will be enough to see just the temples and Phomh Penh, both well worth seeing but not enough to get a very coherent picture of the whole country. For example you won't see Kampot, Kep or Sihanoukville on the South Coast or the wild North East.

Likewise Laos, enough to see Luang Prabang and surrounds (and maybe Vientiane as well) but not enough to see that much of the country.

One month in Vietnam is perfect for a good trip, with some visits to off the beaten path places as well. Any reason for three months in Thailand? Half that would still be a great stay and add a few more weeks on to Laos and Cambodia if you can, maybe even another week on to Vietnam also.

Unless you are planning on diving or doing a lot of drinking, $1,500 per month is a great budget (assuming this excludes your in and out flights). Some people will try to get by on $1,000 but yours gives some flexibility.

#2 Posted: 9/8/2013 - 10:54

• keentravell-
    er12

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2013

Thanks for the reply

Only reason for going to Thailand for 3 months is because i would like to travel alot of it would like to chill for a while there, although i may consider doing Thailand for 2 months and spreading the month onto a new place like the Philippines or onto the countries that i am already visiting but i just cant decide. Overall for the 7 month trip i would like to chill as much as possible but at the same time see alot of the countries... what would you suggest?

#3 Posted: 9/8/2013 - 11:23

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

8 weeks in Thailand should give lots of time to see all the touristy areas and even some not so touristy places. Unless you are planning on going into vegetable mode on a beach somewhere 3 months seems overkill especially when you are going to be short changing other countries because of it.

I would say Cambodia and Laos are 2 week minimum countries, even at that you will have to pick and choose. 3 weeks would allow you to see most of these countries.

1 month in Vietnam is pretty good but you will have to skip something like Sapa, Halong Bay, Dalat etc. 5 weeks would be even more comfortable if you want to see pretty much all the main tourist spots.

From my research 3-4 weeks in Malaysia sounds good but if you want to fit in Borneo as well I would be adding another 2 weeks to do so. As for what to do/see in Malaysia. Langkawi, Perhentian Islands, Penang, Cameron Highlands, Taman Negara, east coast cities/beaches, Kuala Lumpur and on Borneo have Mount Kinabalu and Kinabatangan river, diving at Sipidan island and those are just some of the regular highlights.

I haven't done enough research on Indonesia to really help with it. I know with 4 weeks you will have to pick and choose but not sure what to recommend. Looking through here and googling Indonesia highlights etc should give some help. I find wikitravel and tripadvisor to be good sources of travel ideas/information.

#4 Posted: 9/8/2013 - 12:03

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

8 weeks is didley squat in Thailand. You can spend 20 weeks there and not see half the country.

$1500 a month is an ok budget if you stay in cheap rooms. But if that includes flights and transport between countries it's a bit skinny.

1 week in Singapore is too long IMO. It's a very small place and 3-4 nights is enough. Singapore is a lot more expensive that other SEA countries too.

Thailand is great for relaxing on beaches. I'd totally recommend 3 months. Trang, Krabi, Koh Chang I could easily spend a month just at those places.

#5 Posted: 9/8/2013 - 13:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
12 months in South East Asia ... By amieekb on 9 Sep 2013 8 2005 10 Sep 2013
5 months in south east asia, what to do first????? ... By eoinfitz on 27 Jun 2006 1 3894 27 Jun 2006
6 months in south east asia ... By walshie89 on 6 Sep 2010 5 8230 17 May 2011
South East Asia for 4-5 months ... By brandonjames123 on 19 Jun 2013 4 2328 10 Jul 2013
3 months South-East Asia ... By pimvanhees on 27 Nov 2011 2 2824 28 Nov 2011
is 6 months in south east asia too long?? ... By g_singh on 3 Jul 2007 17 6740 27 Aug 2007
4 months backpacking in South-East Asia ... By Suleika on 31 May 2013 1 2646 1 Jun 2013
5-6 Months in South East Asia. Is £5000 Enough? ... By Mangala on 25 Apr 2009 6 21813 15 Dec 2009
3 Months South East Asia. ADVICE PLEASE :) ... By STEEBEE84 on 1 Aug 2014 15 1995 25 Sep 2014
South East Asia 17th October for 3 months - 18/m/uk ... By brg93 on 27 Jun 2012 6 1317 1 Aug 2012