Southeast Asia forum

SE Asia question!

• OptsDan

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2013

Hello!

Myself and my girlfriend, both British and 22 y/o are going to SEA between October and February, flights already booked (Yay!)

I was wondering if you guys could advise me on whether my itinerary looks realistic, as well as answer a couple of minor questions.

Just a brief overview of where we wish to go.... Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Indonesia (particularly the Gili islands!)

We are staying for 5 nights in Bangkok on arrival, before moving on - so my first question is...

- We plan to initially stay in Thailand for our 30 day visa, and are really keen to see both the northern areas as well as the southern islands. So is it viable to do it all in the 30 days, or would it be better to see either the North or the South, before moving on to either Cambodia or Laos, do the round trip of the other 3 countries - and return to Thailand to do whichever area of Thailand (N/S) we didn't see in the first 30 days - before flying onto Indonesia?

I heard as a rule tours tend to go clockwise (Thai -> Laos -> Viet -> Camb) so we might do the opposite just to mix things up a little, and both of us are really keen to do some diving after hearing about the opportunity to do this at Koh Tao.

To be honest, we were also thinking about maybe missing Laos off the itinerary to either spend some more time in Vietnam or Indonesia.

Not looking to microplan everything, but we are just drafting a rough idea of what order we want to do the countries, and shortlist a few things that we both want to do.

If anyone has any advice on the above matters, I would greatly appreciate it!

Other than that, not long to go now! Counting down the days! 56 wink.png

Dan

#1 Posted: 11/8/2013 - 10:59

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Dan, maybe I'm missing something here, but it wasn't clear to me how many days total you have available and how many you were planning on spending in each country (minus Thailand - where it looked like you had 30 days).

#2 Posted: 11/8/2013 - 12:10

• OptsDan

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2013

Hiya! Total available is about 4 and a half months, so planning on using one month in Thailand, about 3 weeks in Cambodia, one month minimum in Vietnam and either skip Laos or spend 2-3 weeks there.

That totals 2 months 3 weeks, or 3 months 1-2 weeks if we include Laos. That leaves the remainder to see more of Thailand, or jet off to Indonesia. But of course, not planning on travelling to a strict time scale - we will move on as and when we feel like it / visas run out :)

#3 Posted: 11/8/2013 - 14:06

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

For 130 days I wouldn't do much planning other than working out flights and visa issues. Maybe organise the first and last weeks and the rest in the middle wing it.

#4 Posted: 11/8/2013 - 23:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I agree with Leonard. You got time and you have what I think is the right approach. Get into Bangkok, stay there until it's getting on your nerves, move north. As long as you know what your next desintation is going to be, you're good to go. I'd head North, Ayudhya, Kanchanaburi, Sukhothai, Chiang Mai over to Nong Khai (not in on go - it's too far - stop along the way in places like Loei), then to Vientiane, VV, Luang Prabang, and work your way over to Dien Bin Phu and then from there over to Hanoi (again bit by bit, maybe detour to Sapa which eveyone raves about) and after that you can work your way down the coast of Vietnam and from Saigon head over to Cambodia. After moving through Cambodia cut back into Thailand and move to the coast and finish your time chilling along the Islands. You have enough time to do this at a leisurely pace and if you don't actually finish, it's not really a problem. You catch a flight from where you are to get your flight out of the region.

#5 Posted: 12/8/2013 - 00:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.