Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary help please!

• Lori

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2013

Hi I am travelling for 6 months starting in march 2014.
    Starting off in Beijing to Hong Kong then onto Vietnam /Cambodia /Laos
    I will be teaching in Thailand for 2 months and with a 90 day visa I want to spend one week in Thailand before I start teaching and the remaining time after I finish.
    So am looking for advice as to where to start ..
    If I start in Vietnam in Hanoi and go south then into Cambodia then through Laos ?
    Then into northern Thailand before I head down south for teaching
    Would this be a good route?

Sorry it a bit long winded!

Thanks in advance

Lori

#1 Posted: 13/8/2013 - 16:25

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Lori,

Yes that sounds like a sensible route. There are some suggested itineraries here which may be a good starting point.

#2 Posted: 14/8/2013 - 22:57

• Lori

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2013

Thank you!

#3 Posted: 15/8/2013 - 04:59

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

You've given yourself a lot of time as it seems you've got 5 2/3 months for Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos. Of course, part of that is BJ & HK - I'm wondering if you're just flying from BJ to HK or will you be going overland there as well? You can get some very comfortable trains that can be much more convenient (station wise) than flying if you are thinking of stopping in Shanghai first. With the time you have I'd even say you could take a detour to more historical locations like Nanjing or Hangzhou before heading down to HK - and I'd probably recommend a stop at either Huangshan (Yellow Mountain) or Guilin/Yangshuo. I'm assuming you'll fly from HK to Hanoi rather than go overland?

Anyway - some thoughts are here if you're interested:
    http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/china/21025_china--an-introduction

#4 Posted: 15/8/2013 - 18:44

• mftwanderer

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2013
    Location Earth

Sounds like a pretty logical route... although it depends what parts of Laos you want to see.

Alternative would be to cut through Cambodia and then do Northern Thailand before heading on into Northen Laos before coming back down towards Thailand through Vientiane. This would mean much less time on painfully slow transport in Laos.

#5 Posted: 15/8/2013 - 23:16

• Lori

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2013

Thanks for all the info!

Caseyprich - I am thinking of doing a tour in China which goes from Beijing to Hong Kong which takes in most of the places you have mentioned. I have been to Thailand solo before but I wouldn't be confident in China solo..
    As I have a 6 month trip .. I thought this might be a good way to start!.. though maybe I am wimping out! :)

@mftwanderer - I haven't really decided on what parts yet and how to split the time.
    I have 3 months for china/Vietnam/Cambodia/laos but if I am trying not to travel through Thailand till the end because I don't want my visa to run out... I know the 90 days will start as soon as I enter Thailand.. am I right with that?

Thanks to you all for your help

Lori

#6 Posted: 16/8/2013 - 04:30

• Lori

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2013

@ caseyprinch yes I will be flying from Hong kong to Hanoi

#7 Posted: 16/8/2013 - 04:31

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Lori

I would advise you not to do a tour in China. It's not as daunting as it may seem. English is spoken in all the big cities, hostels and some restaurants. A Mandarin phrasebook is invaluable as well as the ability to point in restauants! When booking train tickets etc, you can get the staff in your hostel to write out what you want and then hand it to the ticket attendant in the train station.

Even in off the beaten path places, a smile goes a long way. People are generally very friendly and, as I said above, with a good phrasebook it is very possible to get by. I hate the idea of tours in general but I think a tour would particularly spoil the magic of China, as, for me, all the best places are in the countryside and would not necessarily be covered in a tour.

If you go independently, don't overstretch yourself as it is simply an enormous country which not even a map can convey until you actually travel around it for a while.

Good luck whatever you do.

#8 Posted: 16/8/2013 - 05:10

• mftwanderer

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2013
    Location Earth

Are you talking about a work visa for Thailand? I believe that every time you enter Thailand you get a fresh 90 days of travel but not 100% sure on that!

#9 Posted: 17/8/2013 - 13:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.