Southeast Asia forum

Itenary help/advice Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam

• nhopkinsuk84

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hi,

Myself and a friend are planning a 3 week (max time we can take off work) trip and hope to visit Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam next April/May.

From reading other posts I feel this may be ambitious for the time we have.

Things at the moment are very vague of what we would like to do, but so far include Angkor Wat temples/Siem Reap, we would like to visit a wildlife/rescue centre and interact with the animals. The usual 'tourist' stuff ride an elephant, feed a tiger cub etc. We'd also like to visit some of the beaches and go to a Full Moon party in Thailand.

We will be flying from Manchester, possibly in to Bangkok, but this is open to change depending on the best routes etc to take.

What I'd like is peoples opinions on the best route to take, sights to see and best way to travel/places to stay. We are prepared to fly from the main destinations rather than the overnight buses etc to save as much time as possible.

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

#1 Posted: 29/8/2013 - 09:46

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

You don't have enough time for 3 countries - Vietnam is the one you should drop because it's more complex and more difficult.

(by the way, you've posted in the wrong category)

#2 Posted: 29/8/2013 - 12:10

• nhopkinsuk84

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

I thought dropping Vietnam may come in to it. Thanks.

Also I couldn't see where to post it so took a stab in the dark with here. Perhaps admin will move it. :0)

#3 Posted: 29/8/2013 - 12:53

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

See air asia and nok for flights.

"best route to take, sights to see and best way to travel/places to stay. "

Avoid the FMP for starters.

#4 Posted: 29/8/2013 - 20:13

• nhopkinsuk84

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is FMP?

#5 Posted: 30/8/2013 - 02:14

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Full Moon Party. A hot topic of conversation on the forum at the moment. I have never been but the consensus among the ex-pats and those who've been seems to be to avoid it like the plague unless you enjoy your drink being spiked, drugs being planted on you or being sexually assaulted (particularly relevant if you're female).

In your timeframe I'd defo limit it to two countries, potentially just the one. Although if you really want to see Angkor Wat then you could do 2.5 weeks in Thailand with a side trip there (fly it).

Alternatively three weeks in Vietnam alone would be great, but that wouldn't really fit in with a trip to Angkor Wat.

#6 Posted: 30/8/2013 - 03:40

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

If you've got your heart set on a Thai full moon party (FMP), you're then going to have to plan around when the full moon is and work the rest out from there. You can miss out beaches in Vietnam or Cambodia, and focus on a couple of cities and a bit of countryside. Other than partying on the beach and seeing animals, what do you like to do?

April/May is the hot season over here (up to 40C and lots of humidity), which might be a shock coming straight from Manchester! I'd recommend you don't try to cram too much into every day, so you have time to enjoy things and don't get heat exhaustion.

Vietnam is long and thin, so travel there will take up quite a bit of time. In only three weeks, I'd be tempted to prioritise two countries, say Thailand and Cambodia, or Cambodia and Vietnam or a lot of your time will be spent travelling, which can be surprisingly tiring. If you haven't been to South East Asia before, then Bangkok can be a good place to start, as it may seem a little more familiar. However, it's also much bigger than Phnom Penh or Ho Chi Minh City/Hanoi, and can therefore be trickier to get around.

Within Cambodia, you can fly between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. You can also fly from PP to Ho Chi Minh City, but the bus only takes about 4 hours, so when you factor in time at the airports etc, it's about the same. Remember that you will need a visa in advance for Vietnam, which is not the case for Thailand or Cambodia. You can get a 15 day free Thai visa on arrival at the airport, and buy a month's tourist visa for $20 at Cambodian airports and border crossings.

There's an excellent wildlife centre outside Phnom Penh called Phnom Tamao, about 35km from the city. They offer a special behind the scenes tour which includes tigers and elephants (http://www.wildlifealliance.org/page/view/383/wildlife-tours). The cost is about $150 which supports the rescue and upkeep of the animals.

Hope this helps!

#7 Posted: 30/8/2013 - 03:56

• nhopkinsuk84

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks guys. I am now questioning the FMP... I think on the grander scale, the temples and experiences (sanctuaries etc) are higher up the priority list than the FMP. As it stands sticking to Cambodia and Thailand is going to be the way we go.

I would like to visit some of the beaches and I've heard that Phuket is probably the best place for this, are there any that are better than others, more accessible to get to in the time scale that I have? Or would it be better/easier to stick to beaches further north?

I don't mind the cities and would like to fit them in, probs Bangkok a day or so before flying home but I'm more of a country/scenic girl. What we would like to perhaps do is go to one or two of the villages and see how the locals live, maybe even spend the day helping out in a school or something. I don't know how possible all of this is or if it's easy to arrange?

#8 Posted: 30/8/2013 - 04:44

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Phuket has some great beaches but the island is fairly expensive now and there's a lot of tourists. They do have some quieter beaches but then transport can be an issue. Not a fan of Phuket.

I much prefer Krabi, Trang or Koh Chang areas. Read the site or google them and see for yourself. I also find looking at youtube is helpful. Just type those names into youtube and you'll see what they are like.

youtube is a good way to see what a destination is like. more useful than any guidebook description.

#9 Posted: 30/8/2013 - 11:20

• nhopkinsuk84

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for your advice, I'll have a look on YouTube and see whats around, I don't want something that's over run with tourists and we hope by going in April/May time things will be a bit quieter.

Are Krabi, Trang or Koh Chang areas easy enough to get to by bus etc?

:)

#10 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 08:55

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Krabi and Trang are 1 hour apart from bus. Chang is 4 hours from Bangkok plus a short ferry. You can get cheap flights into Krabi or Trang with Nok or Air Asia.

#11 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 09:31

• nhopkinsuk84

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Awesome, thank you! Will defo have a look in to it, we may possibly have 4 weeks over there now so more time to explore. :)

#12 Posted: 6/9/2013 - 05:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
4 weeks itenary for Thailand - Need advice ... By JamesATaber on 5 May 2010 9 2578 8 May 2010
vietnam, cambodia, laos itenary help ... By kelsey on 26 Jun 2008 4 2967 28 Jun 2008
very rough itenary...advice infinitely appreciated! ... By andrea13 on 17 Jun 2011 3 1945 17 Jun 2011
7 weeks Indonesian rough itenary. Advice needed thanks! ... By CoolOperator on 19 Jul 2014 2 203 19 Jul 2014
Some advice on Thailand-Vietnam-Cambodia itinerary please! ... By lucky13 on 13 Aug 2009 15 4173 6 Sep 2009
cambodia itenary ... By zajets on 6 Dec 2013 5 764 10 Dec 2013
Itinerary advice - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam ... By Tiga74 on 15 Apr 2013 17 3517 27 May 2013
Itinerary Advice please!!! Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia ... By seanstenning on 8 Jul 2007 6 3789 10 Jul 2007
Advice for 4 week trip to Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand ... By kelpeta on 19 Jul 2007 2 3089 25 Jul 2007
Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos Advice for 51 day trip ... By Cyn343 on 10 Mar 2014 20 773 14 Mar 2014