Southeast Asia forum

Philippines - Malaysia - Thailand + HongKong in 7 weeks

• ekze

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2013
    Location Latvia

Hello Fellow travelers,
    There is loads of information on Travelfish.org but I wanted to get some subjective opinion from you. We are spending 48 days if precise in Asia and I would really appreciate your suggestions and help with this
    In 9 of Feb. we ( me and my girlfriend ) land in Shanghai ( we have been here last year, but we want to spend a day here to accumulate long 15h flight + we need other airport. so we fit for 72h VoA )
    2 - 3 days Hong Kong (I would like to visit HongKong as one of my friends live there )
    2 - 3 days Cebu ( might visit chocolate hills, Donsol )
    5-7 days Puerta Princesa/El Nido ( underground river, Beach and tour to the hidden ones )
    2-4 days Manila and around ( not sure if it deserves 2, 4 or maybe 6 days )
    5-6 days in Bali ( I will go with Travelfish guidelines )
    2 days Kuala Lumpur
    2 days Singapure
    x Days somewhere haven`t searched what to do as for Thailand we can have only 14 days ( limit for VoA )
    2-3 Days Bangkok ( should we have more days ?
    4-6 Days Chang Mai and Province.
    x Days some where else ( maybe Krabi or Phi Phi )

We would appreciate your comments and ideas,
    Also is it too much planning or it`s ok? One thing is we don`t want to rush too much and also be on the road all the time.
    Cheers and have a wonderful day

#1 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 02:41

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Your travel plans for Cebu/Visayas region are rather impractical. You'd be constantly on the move. It is possible to make a day trip to Bohol from Cebu. Bear in mind the best time to see the Chocolate Hills are sunrise/early morning or late afternoon/sunset when the shadows make for a more dramatic view.

Donsol is in a different province on the island of Luzon. You need to take a plane from Cebu to Legazpi city and than travel overland to Donsol. Oslob in Cebu has whale sharks as well. The ethical issue in Oslob (which I hope has been dealt with) is the way the local fishermen feed the whale sharks. I am presuming that you are interested in Donsol because of the whale sharks. But Cebu/donsol/Chocolate hills you'll need more than 2-3 days.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/428527/oslob-urged-to-stop-feeding-whale-sharks

Manila..hmmm..lots of people don't like it and I can understand why. 2-3 days is enough..if you like culture and history. I suggest you give Intramuros a look as well as the nearby Chinatown. The National Museum is worth a trip.

#2 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 08:11

• ekze

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2013
    Location Latvia

thanks, goonistik for your reply
    Ok, yes Donsol because of Whale sharks, So thanks for info about Oslob. :)

About Manila I have heard same story but as I thought about it as a pit-stop before heading to Malaysia I could also cut off part or at all Manila part and go to KL through Kota Kinabalu.

#3 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 08:32

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Do you really like cities? You've got quite a few on your list. I'm not a fan of KL and Singapore is expensive nowadays. Thailand gives 30 days without a visa if you arrive by air. Bangkok is a great city IMO and better than the other SEA cities. Krabi is a great place to visit for things like kayaking and snorkelling.

#4 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 09:29

• ekze

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2013
    Location Latvia

I like cities but in this case they are because of flexibility as Manila, Bangkok, KL is as a hub for further travel. For Thai are you sure about 30 days i have found that only 15 day visa on arrival as I don`t want to send to apply for visa my passport and other staff as we don`t have embassy in Latvia.

I hate planning as i know we have to skip something breathtaking because of time frame we have. I`m ok to skip Singapore as I believe it`s a little similar to HK and KL so now we have even more free days which I don`t know where to fit.
    My plan B was take only to countries Philippines and Thailand but that still means we spend 14 days in Thai and 30 in Philippines

#5 Posted: 6/9/2013 - 01:56

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi,
    I'd suggest you add in Penang (in place of SIN or KL) - it has a lot more character than a big city like KL (which is very westernised).
    Have fun!

#6 Posted: 6/9/2013 - 02:10

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Dunno about Latvia. Most people get 30 but maybe you don't.

#7 Posted: 6/9/2013 - 12:17

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"For Thai are you sure about 30 days i have found that only 15 day visa on arrival as I don`t want to send to apply for visa my passport and other staff as we don`t have embassy in Latvia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Thailand
    Latvians either get 15-day VOA or have to apply for tourist visa beforehand.

#8 Posted: 6/9/2013 - 12:59

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

I really recommend Carlos Celdran's walking tours if you go to Manila. Check his blog next year to book a slot.

http://celdrantours.blogspot.com/

As Carlos Celdran says, "You can't change the city, but you can change the way you view the city."

#9 Posted: 7/9/2013 - 19:53

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Or you could just go to an island instead and have a more attractive environment around you.

#10 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 19:59

• Advertisement

• ekze

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2013
    Location Latvia

Yeah,
    first thanks for your suggestions and sharing,
    second i`m the person who gives any city a chance as i like to check all things myself and rate on my scale :) so I might give Manila also a chance :)

I`ll consider Penang as one of my stops.

#11 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 08:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
7 weeks through Burma, malaysia, thailand, laos, indonesia and the philippines, is it doable?? ... By ciera89 on 17 Jul 2013 30 3345 26 Jul 2013
Video: HongKong-Philippines-Vietnam-Cambodia-Laos-Thailand 2012 ... By maximaximaxim on 5 Apr 2012 1 3040 9 May 2012
Route advice; 4 weeks Peninsular Malaysia and 3 weeks East Malaysia ... By GhostOfTomJoad on 31 Jan 2013 2 2760 3 Feb 2013
3 weeks in Thailand and Malaysia ... By indiepops on 18 Sep 2013 5 840 20 Sep 2013
Traveling from Malaysia to Thailand in 3.5 weeks???? HELP! ... By lorievans121 on 3 Apr 2013 3 1361 3 Apr 2013
2 weeks in Thailand, Malaysia and Cambodia? ... By Annanas28 on 10 Oct 2011 16 3774 11 Oct 2011
3 weeks, malaysia/viet/thailand...please help me start! ... By slowtyper on 21 Jul 2013 3 728 21 Jul 2013