Southeast Asia forum

14 days - thai, vietnam and cambodia?

• lavinia_g

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2013

Hello!

I am spending 14 full days in south east asia. I am landing in Bangkok and departing from there aS well!
    I was wondering... Would I be able to see vietnam, thai and cambodia (top destinations only) In only 14 days? What would you recommend as top places to see?

Thanks millions!! :)
    Lavinia

#1 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 12:38

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Surely you joke, 14 days?????

#2 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 13:58

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Only if you want to spend all your time on the bus and be moving all the time. I understand this is probably your 1st trip to SE Asia, and maybe the last time you'll come (?) but you won't get the most out of your experience if you try to travel like this. There is a possibility of seeing more if you fly often - but airports are often not conveniently located and you'll spend the better part of a day in transit that way anyway.

If you are flying into BKK (and out?) I'd recommend you stick to Thailand with a 3/4 day excursion over to Siem Reap, Cambodia so that you can see Angkor Wat - as that is probably a major reason you decided to visit SE Asia. For beaches then, depending on the time of year you could always go from Angkor Wat over to the island near Trat (Ko Chang, Ko Maak, Ko Wai, Ko Kut) for some beach time before returning to BKK at the end of your trip. Really, to get the most of the islands I'd recommend staying at minimum 3 nights in the same bungalow - so if you want to hop islands at all, that is an entire week right there. If just one spot, say on Ko Chang, then you'll be fine enough to have other time to visit some of the cities around BKK or make a quick jump up to Chiang Mai for 3/4 nights. This is still a rather hectic schedule, but better than trying to include too much Cambodia or any of Vietnam.

Also - when you say top destinations, I think this is very subjective. Some people MUST visit beaches while others think the mountain hikes are unforgettable, still others want museums or tourist invested towns.

A short list of TOP destinations:
    Thailand: BKK itself, Chiang Mai, Islands, any number of places with a day of BKK
    Cambodia: Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, Kampot/Kep and-or Islands
    Vietnam: Phu Quoc Island, Delta town, HCMC, Hoi'an, Hue, Hanoi, Sapa, Ha Long Bay

#3 Posted: 6/9/2013 - 01:30

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Depends what you interests are. With 14 days you really can only see 3 destinations well. I'd stick to 1 country.

#4 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 19:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Do yourself a big favor and just stay in Thailand. 14 days??? it's nothing.

#5 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 03:24

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Airport terminals are a must.

Seriously restrict yourself to one country

#6 Posted: 14/9/2013 - 08:28

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

14 days 14 different terminals. Could be the Amazing Race.

#7 Posted: 16/9/2013 - 08:49

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I think you could squeeze in the Phillipines and Myanmar as well.

#8 Posted: 16/9/2013 - 10:02

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

14 days isn't enough to see the highlights in Thailand let alone try and go anywhere else...

#9 Posted: 16/9/2013 - 10:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I think Lavinia got the message.

#10 Posted: 16/9/2013 - 11:12

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.