Southeast Asia forum

12 months in South East Asia

• amieekb

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hi all,

I'm hoping that you can give me some much need advice/guidance on the 12 month trip around SEA that I have planned.

I intend to travel in December 2014 with a £9.5k (GBP) budget.

I have the following (rough) itinerary in mind:

Flying into Bangkok and spend 3 nights there before taking the over night train to Sukhathoi, I'm planning on spending 4-5 nights here before heading up North. I'll probably spend 4 weeks travelling between Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Chiang Dao before catching the 2 day slow boat to Luang Prabang. I'm thinking of sticking to the South of Laos and using this as a rough guide - http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/southern-laos-holiday (6-8 weeks).

I'll then move on to Cambodia using this as a rough guide -http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/cambodia-one-month-trip (6-8 weeks).

I'll head into to HCMC and spend 6-8 weeks travelling north by motobike (ending up in Sapa). I was thinking of catching a flight into KL Malaysia, spending 3 nights here before moving on to Kota Kinabalu.

I'll move from Sabah to Kuching before heading to the Philippines. I'm planning to spend 8 weeks here visiting Luzon, Palawan, Mindanao and The Visayas before heading to Indonesia.

I plan to fly into Java and emplore Yogyakarta and then follow the coast line to the island of Bali. I'm also interested in seeing Bali, the Flores, The Gili Islands and Lombok.

I'll then fly into Krabi befire heading to Khao Yai Nao and Ko Lanta. I'll then head back to the main land and travel north to Bangkok following the Eastern coast.

I'm interested in visiting national parks, caves, visiting minority villages, beaches, cooking, meeting new people and generally seeing where the wind takes me.

I'm happy to visit these sights on my own as apposed to doing it in a large group tour. I'll be staying in guest houses and maybe camping in the national parks.

My questions are:

Is this feasible on my budget?

Is there anything that I've missed that worth seeing or vise versa?

I already have the cash for my return flight to Bangkok so my budget would have to cover visas, accommodation, trips, food etc. I'm not too fussed about the accommodation that I stay in, as long as its clean and safe.

Sorry for the very long winded post and thanks in advance for the help!!

Amiee

#1 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 15:30

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"Flying into Bangkok and spend 3 nights there before taking the over night train to Sukhathoi, I'm planning on spending 4-5 nights here before heading up North. I'll probably spend 4 weeks travelling between Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Chiang Dao"

Why the rush to leave Bangkok? It's worth more than 3 nights. Also Kanchanaburi is worth a few.

CM, CR and CD aren't worth 4 weeks IMO. 2 weeks would be plenty. You might also want to visit Soppong (good cave there) and Mae Hong Son. There are other places like Lampang and Phayao as well.

What's your budget in baht or US dollars?

#2 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 18:35

• amieekb

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hi Leonard,

I went to Bangkok 2 years ago and spent 7 days there (first time visit) and felt like that was enough, maybe I'm wrong.

My budget in USD is just shy of $15,000.

I've checked out the places you suggested and they seem pretty interesting, definitely think I'll add them to my itinerary.

Thanks

#3 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 23:35

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi,
    Sounds like it should be a lovely trip (and it's great that you're giving yourself plenty of time, and not rushing about constantly).

Your budget, once you set aside £400-500 to cover your insurance, works out at roughly £750 a month (£24.50 per day / roughly $38.50US). That's definitely doable, although you will have to be a bit careful with your money - some inexpensive meals in markets and street kitchens, not too many "big" nights out, and you'll probably find it doesn't stretch to cover the expensive extras (like scuba-diving). It will help with the budget that you're not rushing about, as that will save you some money.

(As a rough guide, a budget of $30 per day will cover a basic cheap trip, but one a lot of people will find restrictive over the long term; a more flexible budget of $40 per day allows you to do a bit more.)

Of course, if you're prepared to be flexible, you may just decide to go with the flow and come home when the money runs out. Either you do all the extras and make it a 9-10 month trip, or you travel a little cheaper and go for the full year. Once you're on the ground, you'll be able to judge what sort of trip will make you happiest, and can always change your travel style as you go.

Have a great time!

#4 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 01:35

• amieekb

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hi Antonia,

I'm definitely agree with you about being flexible as when I went to Thailand before I pre-booked every day-trip and guesthouse and when I arrived there the things that I thought I would like I didn't and vise versa.

I'm hoping to stretch my budget to last the year but like you said I could do all the extra's but shorten the trip. I'm in two minds about the scuba diving...... I really want to experience it but on the other hand, do I want to spend all that money....?

I'm more then happy to eat at markets and street stalls as I feel like you'll get more interaction with the people around you then what you would in a restaurant, which i'll need seeing as i'm doing this trip solo.

Have you been to many of the places that i've listed?

Thanks

#5 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 01:55

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Amieekb,

Sounds sensible. You'll probably also find it easy to meet other travelers in your guesthouses, when you feel like company for dinner.

I've been to some of the places you've got listed (I've traveled in Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam) but no where near all of them - I'm rather envious!

When you travel up the eastern coast of Thailand, I'd recommend you spend a few days in Prachuap Khiri Khan - a nice, chilled out town with a friendly local beach.

Have fun!

#6 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 02:04

• amieekb

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

What was Malaysia like?

To be honest, of all the places that I've been looking at Malaysia is the one that i'm having the most trouble getting to grips with. It's such a huge country and it doesn't help that it's over two peninsula's. I definitely know where I want to go on the eastern side but when it comes to the main land its really hard to decide.

Thanks for the advice! :)

#7 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 02:09

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Honestly, I haven't been to the Borneo side of Malaysia - I spent the month in Peninsular Malaysia.

I really liked it, in fact I liked it better than Thailand. The culture is very vibrant (the mix of ethnic Malay, Indian, and Chinese, with the colonial influences layered in there). The food is absolutely amazing (ditto). I'm a real foodie (it's a big part of why I travel) so that's a big part of why I loved Malaysia.

I'd definitely recommend everyone go to Penang. I also enjoyed hiking into the countryside of the Cameron Highlands, and chilling on small beach towns like Cherating.

Other pluses - the language is easier to get to grips with than Thai, and English is quite widely spoken, so it's easier to have a conversation with the locals.

So yep! I recommend it!

#8 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 02:16

• amieekb

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for the info - much appreciated!

#9 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 02:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 months South-East Asia ... By pimvanhees on 27 Nov 2011 2 2751 28 Nov 2011
South East Asia for 4-5 months ... By brandonjames123 on 19 Jun 2013 4 1903 10 Jul 2013
6 months in south east asia ... By walshie89 on 6 Sep 2010 5 7989 17 May 2011
5 months in south east asia, what to do first????? ... By eoinfitz on 27 Jun 2006 1 3843 27 Jun 2006
3 Months South East Asia. ADVICE PLEASE :) ... By STEEBEE84 on 1 Aug 2014 14 1085 15 Sep 2014
5-6 Months in South East Asia. Is £5000 Enough? ... By Mangala on 25 Apr 2009 6 20858 15 Dec 2009
7 Months in South East Asia itinerairy help ... By keentraveller12 on 9 Aug 2013 4 1408 9 Aug 2013
4 months backpacking in South-East Asia ... By Suleika on 31 May 2013 1 2428 1 Jun 2013
is 6 months in south east asia too long?? ... By g_singh on 3 Jul 2007 17 6373 27 Aug 2007
South East Asia 17th October for 3 months - 18/m/uk ... By brg93 on 27 Jun 2012 6 1264 1 Aug 2012