Southeast Asia forum

Vaccinations - may have made a big mistake!!

• roro1990

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2013

Basically i'm going to SE Asia in 3 weeks time. Places I'll be visiting include BKK, Chiang Mai then into Laos, onto Cambodia and back to BKK. I knew I had to get vaccinations for the trip but i've been very busy the last few weeks and completely forgot about them!! I heard that you need to get vaccinations 4 or 5 weeks in advance and I just googled it and it seems I need a lot of vaccinations. Will I need to cancel my trip to a later date so I have adequate time for vaccinations, or can some vaccinations be avoided because of very low risk? Thanks

#1 Posted: 15/9/2013 - 18:22

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ahhh it depends which vaccinations you're talking about.

Shots that require multiple shots over a period you'll be able to get some of the shots in Bangkok for example (and probably Chiang Mai) so that will keep you covered to an extent.

Also, I'd be wary of what vaccinations Google tells you you need -- the NHS has a good vaccination summary page here. I'm no doctor (and, well, my vaccinations are prob out of date) but Hepatitis A and Typhoid are the first two to pop into my mind.

#2 Posted: 15/9/2013 - 18:34

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Most people only bother with Hep A, Hep B and Typhoid. Then depending on where you are going in Laos and Cambodia and your personal decision you might want to take Malaria pills(I didn't bother).

Depending on your age and country you may already have hepatitis shots since some of these are done in some schools(Canada I already had Hep B).

Since I already had Hep B I used Vivaxim which is Hep A and Typhoid together, it recommends at least 2 weeks before travelling. Then you have to go in for a Hep A booster shot 6-12 months later. Twinrix also has an accelerated program where you get an original shot then at 1 week, 3 weeks and then a booster at 1 year.

Contact your nearest travel immunization office and ask what your options are and get in there asap. They will be able to help a lot more then we can... Maybe they will say differently but as long as you don't keep putting it off I don't see why there should be any issue with going on your trip.

#3 Posted: 16/9/2013 - 00:17

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Cancelling the trip would seem a bit over-doing it. Just get your first Hep A/B shot and typhoid vaccine then do the Hep follow-ups either in Thailand (I got my Twinrix here in Chiang Mai) or when you get home, and you're covered for 10 years. Of course your tetanus booster should also be done every 10 years. There are other vaccines that travel sources mention, like Japanese Encephalitis and rabies, but most travellers don't bother - up to you. This is a pretty safe part of the world, just look for hygienically-prepared food (cooked hot/fresh) and try to avoid mosquito bites so you don't get dengue fever.

#4 Posted: 16/9/2013 - 04:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.