Southeast Asia forum

2 people, £10,000 Sterling, 6 months. Enough?

• craigfoster

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2013

So, I've done a tonne of research, everywhere. Forums, Guidebooks, blogs and friends travel experiences, however, i'm still a bit worried that we're not going to have enough money.

Me and my partner are going to SEAsia for 6 months (return flights booked) next week. I did plan on having 11.5k saved but I had to leave work a touch early and i'm now anxious.

I'm basically posting in hope that you guys with the experience can just reassure me that i'll be alright.

We aren't going to get drunk, we're going to see the world, walk, cycle, relax, eat and escape for a while.
    We're happy to go budget on hostels, eat street food (occassional restaurant or similar)
    We're going to do our best to travel by bus or train, no flying which should cut costs.
    We would like to visit a good number of national parks, historic sites and natural beauty spots.
    Finally, we will probably do a bit of surfing and diving.

Areas we're visiting are Thailand, heading south through Malaysia into Indonesia, probably Sulawesi and surrounding areas as the visa is short. We'll pop north through Borneo back into Thailand, northern territories then east to do the usual Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.

We're very excited but like I say, the work issues and budget hiccup has us fretting.

Reassure us?

Thanks for reading guys and girls! We appreciate any feedback!

Craig and Gemma! England.

#1 Posted: 16/9/2013 - 12:49

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

10,000 pounds over six months between two people -- so roughly 55 pounds per day, or 27.50 each per day -- but as you're travelling together, your costs will be less than the sum of two halves - especially with regard to accommodation.

I'd say no problem. I just finished a month in Thailand and spent around 1,000 baht per day so just under 20 pounds per day.

Indonesia, Cambodia and Laos will be your cheapest legs, Malaysia the most, Thailand and Vietnam somewhere in between.

Look at your flight legs, take a look at a site like AirAsia to get a rough idea of what you're looking at price wise (or buy them now if you've got your dates, they have a monster sale going on) as flights will be your biggest expense.

Other big ones?
    Diving or learning to dive to do so.
    GibbonX in Laos
    Visas (minor, but they do add up)
    Travel insurance

But overall, I'd say you have plenty of dosh to keep you going for six months.

#2 Posted: 16/9/2013 - 18:01

• craigfoster

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2013

Hi Somtam!

Thanks for the speedy reply.

We already booked our flights and have our insurance and kit, that's all paid for and sorted. So the 10k is purely travel money.
    Our maths looked the same as yours, I just didn't know how realistic it was to survive on, most of the responses are people that just drink drink drink and don't know how much they've spent!!

Very excited now, 11 days to go!

Thanks again! sometimes we all just need a little reassurance. ;)

Craig and Gem.

#3 Posted: 17/9/2013 - 02:56

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

10,000 is over 500,000 baht. So over 80,000 a month. That's plenty. You will be able to stay in 4 star hotels.

#4 Posted: 17/9/2013 - 11:26

• craigfoster

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2013

Very reassuring Leonard! Thanks!

Craig

#5 Posted: 17/9/2013 - 15:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
2 people - US$3,500 - 3 months? ... By luchy1309 on 28 Mar 2009 7 3292 16 Apr 2009