Southeast Asia forum

Where to stay in Bangkok - 1st trip to Thailand/SEA

• sunnylegs

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2013

I am starting in Bangkok and traveling SEA for 4 months. Getting out of corp america and taking a break!

I am looking for a nice place to stay in Bangkok for a few nights that is in a good location, safe (single female) but easy to get around to see the sights. I am flexible on timing and budget.

Any suggestions welcome... plan to head up to Chiang Mai and play it by ear but definately hit the islands and see some elephants :)

Thanks!
    M

#1 Posted: 17/9/2013 - 22:46

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"good location" depends on your definition of that. Assuming you are just interested in the tourist related stuff ("see the sights") then I would think Chinatown would work for you. A friend of mine likes the Grand China Hotel there. You can get a room for about 50 bucks a night.

#2 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 01:35

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I would stay near a skytrain or metro line - The area around Asoke/Sukhumvit
    is one of my favs. http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/sukhumvit/all

Staying in Chinatown is not a bad idea and you're not so far from the train station, but vey little in but keep un mind that the train tracks to Chiang Mai are in repair for the next 45 days so if you were considering the night train you'll have to switch to a bus at one point. http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transport/369698/rail-service-from-uttaradit-to-chiang-mai-to-end-monday

#3 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 02:57

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Just pick a nice hotel on the skytrain. See agoda/tripadvisor

#4 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 09:29

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

You really need to state your budget - makes a BIG difference. I really like to be near the river and prefer the smaller hotels or B&B's. I think you might like the Baan Dinso Boutique Hostel - not your usual hostel at all, this is mostly private rooms, but does have some without private bath. Have a look here - in the Old City near KSR and Chinatown.

#5 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 10:37

• roro1990

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2013

If you plan on heading to the backpacker area (khao san road), there's a nice place that I booked there called nappark. It got very good reviews. Looking forward to seeing it for myself :)

#6 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 11:55

• sunnylegs

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2013

Thanks for the great suggestions all!

To clarify a couple comments:

By good location I mean easy to get around or to the train. A view would be great and as for budget, I have not problem paying upwards of $200 US which sounds like a ton in Thailand and not sure what "nice" is for $50/night. Bottom line, I am open to anything that is nice, convenient and will be able to meet other travelers. I like the idea hostel as a way to be with other solo travelers and the Baan Dinso Boutique Hostel looks really nice and your right, not my idea of a typical hostel but looks great. (Nice find daawgon)

Since I am traveling solo going to play it by ear when I get there as to my exact next destination I think being around other travelers/backpackers is attractive. The thought of a nice hotel with a pool, spa and gym sounds nice too but not sure where travelers stay for something like that are not traveling for business.
    I have been looking at so many places to go and really want to speak to others before making set plans.
    From what I've read, flexibility is key and I am not any schedule (which is the point!)

Thanks for the train tip up to CM also.. may have to fly if not up and running by the time I get there but I may luck out since I arrive Oct. 29th.

#7 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 17:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Starting my 12 week SE Asia trip in Bangkok - few days there, where best to stay? ... By AndyPandy on 26 Aug 2012 5 2156 12 May 2014