Southeast Asia forum

3 weeks in Thailand and Malaysia

• indiepops

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2013

Hi all,
    Myself and my Daughter will be traveling to SE Asia in Febuary, the trip plans go like this;
    BKK, 2 nights in dusit district then go north west 150km to a home stay for 4 nights.
    Back to BKK take the night train to Koh Phangan for 5 nights.
    Take the night train from Surat Thani to Butterworth ( time of ferry to get the 01;26 train ??)
    Penang for 5 nights and take in the Thaipusam there.
    Train to KL for 2 nights and fly home from there.
    Any Thoughts anyone??

#1 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 12:42

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

2n Bangkok isn't much. 3n would be better. Homestay? How did you find this? I'd recommend a tour to Kanchanaburi and Erawan waterfalls and 1-2 nights on the river out there.

Thai homes aren't that interesting to be honest.

Train doesn't go anywhere near Koh Pha Ngan. KPN is an island. KPN has nice beaches but there's not much to do. I prefer Krabi/Trang both of which have airports and Air Asia and Nok have cheap flights. Taking trains/buses over long distances is very slow in Thailand and when you have limited time (i counted 18 nights not 3 weeks) you don't want to spend too much time in transit.

You can travel by boat from Trang to Malaysia which is much more scenic:

http://www.tigerlinetravel.com/frontpage

You can do the train bit in Malaysia or in Kanchanaburi.

#2 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 19:48

• indiepops

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2013

Hi,
    Thanks for that.
    The homestay is a guest house north of kanchnaburi very near to water falls etc so we will be seeing all you have mentioned whilst there.
    The train goes to Surat Thani, we will get the ferry from there (I know its an Island) I thought koh phangan would be nice as there is a nice jungle interior as well as lovely beaches.
    As for flying, not really my thing to do that, I prefer the more eco option of traveling by train overnight (thats the other 3 nights) gets me where Im going whilst sleeping, perfect!

Anyone been to Thaipusam in Penang?

#3 Posted: 19/9/2013 - 04:47

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

KPN has nice beaches but inland there isnt much. They have a waterfall but it's the size of a tap.

Flights in Thailand cost about $40-50.

#4 Posted: 19/9/2013 - 09:49

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@indiepops - we don't have anything specific to the Thaipusam festival in Penang, but do have a few more general pieces on it here, here and here.

Agree with choice of Ko Pha Ngan - it's a great island.

#5 Posted: 19/9/2013 - 19:52

• stephen11

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2012

Hi sounds like you have a plan and it's good. BKK has a lot, worth checking out this site 4 what interest you. Be careful in Surathani lots of hustlers in the south. Good Luck an have fun in land of smile .

#6 Posted: 20/9/2013 - 04:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Route advice; 4 weeks Peninsular Malaysia and 3 weeks East Malaysia ... By GhostOfTomJoad on 31 Jan 2013 2 2737 3 Feb 2013
2 weeks in Thailand, Malaysia and Cambodia? ... By Annanas28 on 10 Oct 2011 16 3762 11 Oct 2011
Traveling from Malaysia to Thailand in 3.5 weeks???? HELP! ... By lorievans121 on 3 Apr 2013 3 1358 3 Apr 2013
Philippines - Malaysia - Thailand + HongKong in 7 weeks ... By ekze on 5 Sep 2013 10 1004 9 Sep 2013
3 weeks, malaysia/viet/thailand...please help me start! ... By slowtyper on 21 Jul 2013 3 722 21 Jul 2013