Southeast Asia forum

thailand to australia then to newzealand and cook island?!

• Lakbay_pinay

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2012

hi everyone! planning a 2 month trip in late February 2014 which would start in the US to Thailand, visit cambodia for a weekend then bangkok to Australia, New Zealand and Cook Islands (as much as i can)
    I am looking more a culture/nature/food/adventure trip (that wont blow my bank account!)
    I know that it is cheap to fly from Thailand to Australia, however, I'm not sure where to go from there.
    I need help on which route to take- and I really dont want to be moving every day. I initially wanted to break down my trip in 2-week increments (because friends may be meeting up with me wherever i end up in!)
    any help would be greatly appreciated! I am overwhelmed with lonelyplanet book guide and i figure ill start here first, since travel fish was very helpful in my last South East Asia trip. thanks!!!

#1 Posted: 20/9/2013 - 02:26

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Sounds like you've been to Thailand before (?) so where did you go/like last time? A "weekend" for Cambodia is going to limit you to one place, so have you done Angkor Wat yet? A week or two to include Phnom Penh and maybe Battambamg and the coast would be more of a proper visit. Australia is absolutely HUGE. I lived in my van for months on end in years past and driven right round and through the country a few times, but that usually requires a minimum of 3-4 months. If you just have a few weeks then plan on seeing a small sample of the country and using domestic flights to connect a few dots. My first trip to Aus for example (American style, ages ago) was 7 days Sydney, 7 days Cairns, 7 days Melbourne, with connecting flights. You might also look at renting a camper vehicle from a reputable outfit like Britz or Apollo (avoid "Wicked"!) and doing a one-way drive say, Sydney to Alice or Brisbane to Darwin, which would give you a good taste of outback life, vastness, and epic scenery. Or follow the Boomerang coast Sydney to Cairns which is what 90% of backpackers seem to do. On to NZ where I lived for several years and traveled extensively. Don't under-estimate the time required to give the country a good look, just because it looks like two little specks at the bottom of the world. Again, if you just have a couple weeks consider throwing in a couple domestic flights. From Auckland head down to Lake Taupo, do some black water rafting in Waitomo, do the Tongariro crossing, fly from Wellington to Christchurch or Queenstown. Do some trekking and a boat trip on Milford Sound, some white water rafting and a bunjy jump. Fly back to Auckland (or wherever you are flying out). Happy planning.

#2 Posted: 20/9/2013 - 03:29

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"doing a one-way drive say, Sydney to Alice or Brisbane to Darwin, which would give you a good taste of outback life, vastness, and epic scenery."

They are massive distances and there's not a lot to see for much of it.

One of the most scenic places in the whole country is Coles Bay on the east coast of Tasmania. It really is stunning. Plus Tasi is easy to drive around being small. You can also visit Cradle Mountain which has world class bush walking.

http://www.wineglassbay.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=48&Itemid=88

http://www.pleasetakemeto.com/australia/cradle-mountain/photos/cradle-mountain-42662

Another place I recommend South Australia. The wineries near Adel are the best in the world for reds. Hahndorf is a cool German style town and the Mclaren Vale and Victor Harbour regions are nice. You can see penguins at VH. Nearby you can head over to Kangaroo Island.

A lot of backpackers do the syd-byron-cairns route but it's a bit predictable except for the great barrier reef.

Sydney is worth doing due to the harbour.

Melb is an ugly city though the great ocean rd is a nice drive.

#3 Posted: 20/9/2013 - 12:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
which route to take- BKK to australia, new zealand and cook islands ... By Lakbay_pinay on 20 Sep 2013 3 1200 17 Dec 2013